Blink: wifi camera/motion sensor on Kickstarter

1. Thanks, I’ll see what support does for me.

2. I guess I’ve got some more learning to do. Where in the IDE would I be able to tell if the SmartApp is out of date?

1 Like

how are you using chromecast?

I use the screen mirroring.

Thanks a lot. I actually started reading through the developers’ guide as you sent this. I wish you could give a friendly name to the integrated repos so they don’t look like this:

Or am I adding them wrong (one of them is my SmartThingsPublic fork, the other is terafin’s) still? Regardless, it seems to be working now at least.

Little late to the party, but thanks for this! Works great.

Afaik there is no way to change the name of someone else’s repository, that is something they should do if there is enough demand.

I noticed today that my blink app seems to not be arming correctly.

At 7am this morning it disarmed correctly according to by schedule.

At 10:53 my rules machine app ran my goodbye! routine which sets my status to away and arms my security.

The notifications from my blink app says successfully disarmed blink, even though it is already disarmed (should be arming it).

I checked the setting in blink and it clearly says to arm when away or night mode is on. I checked my routing and status and is is set to away. I also checked the blink app and it is not armed.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matthew

Mine seems to be working correctly (except today when the “Goodbye” routine never ran when I left for work, but that’s not this app’s fault, just SmartThings being SmartThings) but I noticed that it seems to duplicate the “Successfully armed/disarmed Blink” notification message (in the mobile app) each time it runs. I only get one push notification as expected, however, so it isn’t bothering me.

But thought I’d report it nonetheless.

1 Like

I have the same double notification message.

I also have been ignoring it as I don’t get two text messages.

Cheers,

Matthew

Same thing for me. I get duplicate Arm/Disarm notifications. But as long as it works…I am :slightly_smiling:

I find these things addicting…

I have 9 installed and keep thinking of other uses. Next, I’m putting one on the 3D printer so I can remotely monitor progress. I also plan on putting one in the basement so I can remotely monitor the sump pump. Yes I have a moisture sensor there but if there is a false alarm I can see if there really is an issue.

What unique uses have you found?

2 Likes

Mine are both outside. I will let everyone know how the hold up to the elements. One is under a covered porch the other is under a small eave. Going on a month and half with no issues.

1 Like

No enclosure on either one of them? I’m considering doing what you are on my front porch, but I’d want to build something to secure it (only about 9 ft. high). The back would be easier to secure, but I don’t want it all way up on the second story.

No enclosures. You can’t see the one on my porch until you are on the porch. I don’t live in a bad neighborhood and even if the camera was taken, the cost to replace is not exorbitant.

1 Like

@awc & @ErnieG
I would recommend something like this for an Outdoor enclosure:

It has a lock and it can see clearly. The motion sensor will be blocked though.

1 Like

Nice but I need the motion sensor for my use.

Just curious, has anyone else with a Blink and an Android device tried Notification intercept with a virtual motion sensor to make ST react to the Blinks motion detection? It works really well.

I have them in an unheated attic and garage below freezing with no issue yet. Obviously they are protected from rain.

Blink still hasn’t contacted me on what frequency they use. I was under the impression it sent the video through the Sync Module. However, I was checking my router logs and noticed each camera with its own IP address. This means each camera goes directly to WiFi. I can confirm this with data spikes when the camera is on.

The Sync Module is listed as “walnut” and each camera has a MAC address starting with F4:B8:5E. I found this Jul 24, 2014 TechCrunch article:

Blink’s makers have confirmed there is, in fact, Wi-Fi in the camera, and that no video goes through the sync modules. Instead, they say they have developed a system enabling the cameras to remain on “ultra low power” and be woken up by the module on demand to preserve battery life.

So it sounds like the Sync Module kicks the camera on when we use Live View only. It must use Low Energy Bluetooth or even maybe ZigBee.

3 Likes

I put one in my wife’s jewelry drawer and it effectively captures the video if opened. I have another outside over the front door under a heavily protected alcove. I tend to a get a bunch of false positives after an actual motion event, however, even with sensitivity all the way down. If I turn the motion capture off then on it tends to stop the false positives but not ideal. I figure I can’t complaint too much since it is not intended for outdoor use.