[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

What are people using for temp-controls for the fan?

It would be nice to have tiered control of all 4 speeds, but I can’t find a good app to control it. The ones in this thread ([RELEASE] 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat) assume one object for the fan, and this DTH has 5. (off, low med med-hi hi)

ideas?

Did you see the 4-speed version above in this thread and linked in the first post in that thread? I use it and it works fine.

Does it work with new app or only classic?

The fan “kinda” works in the new app.

If you are only going to use the fan in rules, it will work. If you want to be able to manually change the fan speed from within the app no (unless you get creative with virtual switches and additional rules). You can turn the light on/off from within the app but it does not update the app correctly. You have to exit the device page and go back in to get the device to correctly show its state.

I just want to be able to set automation control within the new app and/or webcore. So if that still works, its worth getting. Man I’d donate to bring this handler up to date with new app for total control.

1 Like

Then it will work for you. The fan speeds are exposed as switches for use in automations. Low, med, med-high, high & comfort breeze. As long as you have no plans to control it manually you will be ok.

With that said, the controllers do have a tendency to fall off of the network occasionally, or more often. Using a zigbee repeater in each room they are in will help, but not totally eliminate. Most of the time the controller can be brought back to life by power cycling power to the controller at the wall switch (if you have one) or the circuit breaker. If seen claims here and on the Hubitat forum that changing the antenna will help with drops. I have not changed mine so I can’t offer personal experience. I do have the zigbee antennas on both of mine routed to the outside of the metal canopy. For the last 6 months or so, the fan in our bedroom (about 30 get from the hub) has been rock solid. The one in the living room (where the hub is) has dropped half a dozen times or so. I have repeaters in both rooms.

I know inovelli was going to release a fan controller. Not sure if Eric did or not yet. @Eric_Inovelli has the controller been released and does it work with the new hub?

Might be another way to go?

Yes, we are about to start mass production on these on May 11th :slight_smile:

Project status can be followed here: Fan & Light Switch (Project Hurricane) - Projects & Roadmaps - Inovelli Community

We’re super excited for them!

As for ST integration – it won’t be WWST off the bat (takes a while), but we do have a device handler that can be installed allowing it to work properly (giving individual control of lights and fan).

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

@the_garz looking at it now and doesn’t load correctly in new ST, just old app
any plans to update?

Hi @yourunclefats, he wrote the DTH for the Zooz Zen30. I don’t think he wrote this one.

@johnconstantelo u are correct, I was confused, @dalec any plans to make this work with the new smartthings app?

1 Like

So made the jump, bought (4) of the controllers, retrofitted fans (will do a write up at some point) and overall it’s been pretty solid EXCEPT… the (4) speed fan smartapp seems to lock up the Zigbee controller, sometimes requiring a complete factory reset.

One of the upstairs fans did this again today, stopped responding to any commands, in spite of zigbee thinking it’s happy. No Zigbee issues with coverage, 4 other zigbee devices in the room all working fine. deleted the device, did the “factory reset 5 times up/down” thing, re-added it, everything looked good.

Ran it for a while, added the smartapp back, while watching the logs, and I noticed these in the log:

7:22:51 PM: info Adjusting Fan Speed to null

Now the fan isn’t responding to smartthings any more. The fan speed should never be set to NULL right?

Once I delete the device, I’ll factory default it again, and add it back.

Ideas?

The first post in the thread mentions that they were trying to identify the issue with a device locking up. I think development stalled (the folks behind it moved to other platforms) before anyone worked this out. I ran into some kind of issue a month or two into using the thermostat but haven’t had any problems since.

guys, seriously, give up on these and get this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Smart-Wi-Fi-4-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Works-with-Google-Assistant-SmartThings-and-Alexa-99434/311264804

it actually works properly with a native ST integration and fast two way communication.

I had the Hampton bay zigbee unit before, had problems with it in the new app. After I got a few of the above I threw them all in the trash.

This is great news! Just pre-ordered mine.

I’ve thought for a while a product like yours needs to exist. Glad you got on it!

Its a great new, total function for smartthings, great solution… but the remote control design…uuughh, I think style in any wall is important too, or its only my beauty in design perception…?

Thanks! Yeah it’s been on my wishlist personally for about 4yrs (pre-Inovelli) as it’s the last thing aside from a slider door lock that I need for my house. Everyone has been asking for a fan/light combo for as long as I can remember too and I’m shocked no one has come out with one (hopefully that’s not a sign!)

Anyway, thanks for the pre-order, we’re in the home stretch!

@Eric_Inovelli Same here. After fussing with two of these Hampton Bay Zigbee Controllers* over the last 1.5 years, I’m looking forward to a way more stable Z-Wave solution. What do you recommend for a remote capability…any remote compatible with my hub (SmartThings in my case)?

*Latest issue is the Med-Hi mode on one of them turns off the light and the fan. When I turn the light back on, the fan turns back on in Med-Hi, and then I’m able to turn the light back on and the fan stays on. Of course the dropped Zigbee link without installing a bunch of repeaters is par for this course too.

Alexa or Google Home lol. Kidding (but kinda serious). We are coming out with a dedicated remote, but it likely won’t be until later this year (we have the prototypes ready, but we’re still working on it).

I swore GE was coming out with one but I’m not too familiar with them so I don’t know tbe capabilities and whether or not they allow Z-Wave Associations or Scene Control. If they do, then I’d go with those if you need a remote immediately.

But I promise we are working on a remote solution (a paddle version to match our switches and a button one as well).

Appreciate the kind words and support!

1 Like

I may be missing something here but I’m at a complete loss here.

I got the Device handler and all working. Through the ST Classic app, everything works exactly as hoped. Alexa is where my issue arises. Alexa only sees a device named “Bedroom Fan” and only sees on and off. And that just turns the fan on and off. It does not recognize the light in any way. If I ask her to tun off bedroom fan light, she just turns off the fan, not the light.

Am I missing something here? Did I miss some basic step? Thank you very much.

Not sure what the issue with the light is, but here is how I set mine up with Alexa (through classic app).

On the device list:

On the Alexa App list in ST (I didn’t select “Master Fan” or “Comfort Breeze”, just the switches for the various speeds).

I renamed “Master Fan Med-Hi” to “Master Fan”, so if I say “Alexa, turn on Master Fan”, the Med-hi setting is the default. This also makes it easier to turn off: “Alexa, turn off Master Fan”.