[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

Well, it was working, was playing with it. Added it to routines and automations, added it to actiontiles and it stopped working. Removed it from actiontiles, rebooted smartthings, cannot get it to work. Push the button and it doesn’t do anything. The remote from king of fans works still

Not sure what the trouble is here, as a last resort try resetting it back to factory and starting over and re-pairing

It started working again after I removed it from action tiles, recycling smart things, and leaving it for a little bit.

As anybody else had issues adding it to action tiles?

Good question, we can start tracking it now

I just got two more of these devices in. I had your same issue where it seems they are needing to be reset to clear whatever testing came from the factory before they are able to pair successfully with SmartThings.

The resetting process is in your manual

How to reset the fan controller:

NOTE: Reset your fan if the pairing is taking longer than expected. Turn off your fan for 3 seconds, then turn it back on for 3 seconds. Repeat these steps 5 times. The light will blink 5 times when factory reset is successful. If pairing failed, please reset the device to original setting and re-start pairing.

Here is a preview of what will be the next device handler update. I was just wondering if you have a preference on Tile Size? They work the same, it is simply the look of the user interface on the device handler. The smaller one is a little closer in look and feel to the Wink app but the text labels are smaller. You can choose both if you like both.

• Smaller Tile Buttons, fan speeds on one row
  • Larger Tile buttons,

0 voters

@dalec I didn’t get a manual with mine, but I’ve continued to play with it. The issue appears to be unrelated to SmartThings. After I said it was working – and it was – it then stopped working. I couldn’t get it to do anything. This morning I flipped the breaker for 30 seconds and flipped it back on. It’s working again.

This morning I also pulled the antennas out of the bib. I’m skeptical of that actually making a difference however. Since Zigbee has a much shorter range, I moved my SmartThings hub to my Family Room…it’s only 10ft away from the fan…if the thing can’t reach 10ft behind the fan bib then I don’t know what to make of it…

Will see how this goes. It’s sort of like it times out or disconnects and resetting the breaker is the one way to get it back.

I just posted my experience in the other thread, but maybe this is where it should go. In any event, I think I found the source of my problem. Unfortunately, it appears to be your nice 4 speed thermostat Dale.

I was able to reconnect my controller to Smartthings and it did work well for days. I then started adding components to it. I added the action tiles and there was no problem. Everything continued working as it should.

When I created a thermostat with Dale’s app, the app sent a off command to the fan and that just killed it. From that point on, it was unresponsive to anything Smarttings.

I removed the app and shut down the controller from it’s remote. After a few minutes, everything was working again and I could control the fan from the Smartthings app.

I tried a couple of times and every time I add the 4 speed thermostat app, the controller stops working.

I have been having the same issue and coincidentally they started around the same time I installed the 4 speed fan smartapp ill remove the fan from the app and see if I get the same results.

1 Like

I’m trying (hoping) to make this work with a basic switch. As in…light at full when it firsts receives power? Any suggestions?

I doubt it’s a good idea to be power cycling the controller on a regular basis. I don’t think it was designed to be used that way but…I could be wrong :slight_smile:

This device like all remote controllers are not designed to be used with the existing light switch… it is designed to replace the existing switch. Just don’t order the hand held remote but the in-wall remote that replaces the wall switch function for you. You can see it in operation here in my review.

Or you can use the in-wall and the hand-held if you desire to have two controllers not to mention of course voice control which is the way @Stephan and I do it as well :slight_smile:

Time to do an Update from Repo in your IDE… The latest version 0515 has just been posted to GitHub with the changes from @Stephan, @Ranga and yours truly. It’s a more efficient UI with all control points accessible without scrolling on screen, new version checker, new icons for a new look, etc. The new screen captures are in the original posting.

STEPS
Update from Repo and select all three device handlers and select publish. To be safe you want to recreate all child devices. Do this by going clicking gear icon and select recreate switch. Remember you need to remove all child devices from any smartapp or else you get an error.

On the new parent device scroll to the bottom and press the Refresh tile twice to update the version checker. and you should see green indicators.

Oh I get that. I have a wall.mounted tablet with the smarthings app up and
a whole set up with Google Home working. I was just trying to see if I
could rig up a way that when the device lost power when the switch was
flipped I could recognize it and send a lights on command once power was
restored. I have the switches you show there in my cart as we speak but for
various reasons I had thought about trying to retain the original switch
capability.

One idea I had was to poll the device…and once it disappeared (switch
stops sending power) I would then poll for it to come back…as soon as I
see it I would send lights on command.

1 Like

Gotcha! OK that has been done in the forums already I believe that you could use possibly. It was designed for power outages so that when power returned the lights would return to a preset condition. Try doing a search but the thread was over a year old so I couldn’t remember much about it except it had to do with power outage and smart bulbs.

there appears to be an error in one line of code.

From the log:

error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method sendEvent() on null object @ line 156

From the smartapp? Just PM me :slight_smile:

Verify the current device handler versions are updated and installed. After updating all the device handlers, execute the recreate in the gear icon of the device.

What smartapp’s are listed for using your device if any?

Recreating the child apps seems to have solved that error

Thanks

Hi Dale,

I just installed the receiver and updated to 0515 and was testing the in-wall battery switch. The master on/off reflects the light, but not the fan status in the UI. I went back to look at your alpha video and it appears that was an issue then. Do you think you’ll be able to address this in a future update?