[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

That is correct

I don’t see why it would make a difference, but I guess I’ll see. I’m going to visit a friend who has an Android device so I’ll see if shows up on his phone. I’ll report back.

If it helps, I’m using an iPhone. I am waiting for 2 Lenovo android tables and a Fire tablet to get delivered from Android any minute now…I will see if it works using the SmartThings app on there (fingers crossed).

It should look the same on both android and apple. You should have 2 devices in your list. One device will have all of the fan speeds and an option to turn the light on/off and the other device will be the light only. In your automations, you should have the option to control the light as well as low, med, med-high, high and comfort breeze.

This was all working for me 5 weeks ago when I removed the fans from smartthings. Maybe they made some more changes and broke the integration, IDK?

All of the above pertains to the classic app ONLY. In the new app, you should be able to control everything listed above in your automations but, manual control is virtually non-existant. What does show up in your device list will NOT work correctly. If you you are using the new app, that’s why your not seeing all of the manual controls and the controls that you do see do not work.

Your next question is going to be, when will it be fixed? No one knows. The information needed to move this DTH to the new app hasn’t really been released yet and this is an UNOFFICIAL integration.

Could someone clarify if the Hampton Bay Device Handler described in this thread would work with all Hampton Bay fans or only ones retrofit with the Hampton Bay Universal Fan controller? For example, would a fan like the following one with all remote controls components built in be compatible?

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/house-of-hampton-46-broxburne-4-blade-led-ceiling-fan-with-remote-light-kit-included-hmpt1298.html

If not, what other smartthings tools could allow this fan/light to be controlled?

You might be able to make that fan work if you can add the the Hampton Bay kit referenced in this thread. Someone has also mentioned that Hampton Bay has a wifi module that uses Bond that works with smartthings. I have never used this wifi device. Inovelli @Eric_Inovelli is also releasing a module very soon that will probably work.

A Hampton Bay Fan that is compatible will be “Wink” enabled. At least that is what it used to say.

Look here too:

1 Like

That is correct. They still sell the Wink compatible remote as well. The new one connects with Bond which can be linked to ST.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Smart-Wi-Fi-4-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Works-with-Google-Assistant-SmartThings-and-Alexa-99434/311264804

1 Like

I just hooked up the hampton bay zigbee four speed controller. For the most part it works well but my fan is a 3 speed fan. when i turn the remote to the “high fan” setting with the light on, the fan comes on high and the light stays on. If i switch the fan to one of the lower settings from high, the fan turns off and the light turns off. If i press one of the speeds again, the light will come back on and the fan comes back on. Any thoughts?

I don’t have any idea on that one. I’ve never experienced that.

Should not be relevant; the HB controller and the pull chain are each independently modifying the signal to the motor in series. The pull chain should typically be set to high speed to allow the controller to reach the full range of the fan. If the high speed is too fast for you, you can use a lower pull chain setting and get 4 speeds with the reduced setting as “high”.

I can confirm, same whether controlling the fan via remote or classic app:

1. With the light on, use the remote to turn the fan (speed 4).
  2. Change to speed 3 using the remote. Light and fan turn off.
  3. Change to speed 2 using the remote. Light and fan turn on.
  4. Light and fan behave as expected through changes to speed 1 and 0.

I see the same behavior if I control it from the classic app - changing the fan from speed 4 to speed 3, 2, 1 or 0 turns the light and fan off. Any subsequent change turns them back on. I guess it could be a firmware bug with the controller? I had noticed occasional odd behavior but hadn’t experimented enough to pin down exactly what was happening - I rarely run my fans on high speed and the one in the bedroom is mostly running when the lights are off.

There must have been some changes. I have had the DTH for years now and integrated with Google Home hub for 1 year. My fan stopped responding in ST so I deleted and readded and assigned the DTH in Ide. But now when I add in the GH integration like mentioned with Alexa, the light is missing. The smartapp in classic showed the light as selected but Google Home did not see it. I then removed the smart app. The only way to add it back was thru Google Home but it no longer appears in the classic app as a smartapp once the account link is made

ST changed the Google home integration. It now works through the new app. There is another thread where they are discussing the “shortcomings” of the new integration.

I went through the steps of adding the device handlers. I’m now able to control the light and the fan from the classic app. I paired it by turning the lights on/off 5x and chose “Thing” when it appeared in the device discovery. Then in the device list on the smartthings website, edited “Thing” and changed it to the KOF Zigbee Fan Controller. It automatically added a device for the light.

In the classic app, I can control the fan and light from one thing. I can control only the lights from the separate light thing.

In the updated smartthings app, I can only control the fan, not the lights. And, Google Home is only recognizing the fan - I can turn it on/off, but not control the speed. Voice control doesn’t work at all.

Is this the same experience for others? Has anyone been able to get Google Home voice control to work with the fan and the lights?

Are you using the new Google home integration or the old integration? If you don’t know, when did you set up the Google integration with Smartthings?

I don’t know if I’m on the old or new integration. I only connected the two services yesterday by going through the process in the Google Home app. I’m one of those people jumping over from Wink.

You are most likely using the new integration.

This worked fine in the old integration and I have not used the new Smartthings integration with Google.

For what it’s worth, this DTH does not work all that great for the new Smartthings app.

There is a thread here with people discussing what works (and doesn’t work) with the new integration. You might want to ask in this thread.

I looked at the DTHes. The only official capability they expose is Switch, hence the Google integration will only allow On/Off for the main device which is the fan (saying turn on/off should work).
Also the new Google integration does not yet support child devices hence the light does not show up.
To control speed via Google and Alexa, the fan DTH would have to expose switchLevel.

That’s interesting. We were always been able to control the fan speed using the old integration. I wonder how it was done?

Wink refugee here too. I had the same issue with Alexa not controlling my Wink enabled fan. I created “virtual devices” in the original smartthings app - light, fan low, fan medium, and fan high. For some reason all the fan controls created with the DTH I got from this thread show up as options in the automations section, but do not show up in the new smartthings app and are not visible to Alexa (I imagine Google home, etc as well). I then set up two automatons to “mirror” each of the virtual controls - a virtual dimmer for the light, and virtual switches for the fan speeds, for each setting (light and 3 fan speeds) to the fan control (8 mirrored automations in total). The virtual controls, that show up in the new smartthings app and are recognizable to Alexa, control the real controls created by this DTH in the old smartthings app via the mirrored automations. It was a pain but everything works now to control the light with dimming and fan speeds through Alexa and the new smartthings app.

Thanks mwav3 for the tip about virtual devices. Works like a charm with google home.

In the classic app for controlling the light,

1. Click on automation, then add a smart app
  2. Choose more, then scroll down and choose Virtual Device Creator
  3. I chose virtual switch and my smartthings hub
  4. Add device name as you want it to appear in google home and the newer smart things app, and save
  5. Click on automation, then add a smart app
  6. Choose Lights and Switches, then Smart Lighting
  7. Choose the actual device you want to control, the switch for trigger
  8. Then choose the virtual switch you created in step 4, and save
1 Like