Best option for a Z wave 3 way switch (that sends a status signal from both switches)

The DZC line was originally introduced with classic Zwave, it’s been around for a couple of years. It’s just that that’s the line they chose to upgrade to Z wave Plus first, probably because it’s the one that’s sold at brick-and-mortar stores like Home Depot. :sunglasses:

GE has just introduced their new zwave plus models, and they are hard to find right now, but should be widely available in another month or two. For GE, the Z wave classic model numbers start with a 12 or a 4, and the new zwave plus models start with a 14.

The GE branded Z wave switches are actually made by Jasco. Here’s the official product site:

http://www.ezzwave.com/z-wave-products/

It may be confusing for some, but don’t put too much stock into Leviton’s marketing materials or website links. They don’t market to the average joe. These products are intended for integrators and licensed installers. The ViziaRF line is alive and well. The new z-wave enabled Decora DZC models have all been revamped to include Z-wave plus and the dimmers and switches have been redesigned for better ergonomics. All of my local Home Depot stores have had the new Decora models in stock. Lutron devices have been more plentiful at my local Lowes stores.

1 Like

Just curious, what would happen if you hooked 2 of the Leviton DZ15S devices together with the traveler and left the load capped on one of them? Would you then get instant status updates from 2 devices? Would this also work with the dimmers (DZ6HD/DZ1KD)?

Nothing, they dont talk between two masters.

I’m hoping that Leviton will resolve this issue with a firmware update. It is technically possible since these devices support the “Firmware Update MD V4” command class. The problem is that SmartThings needs to allow the updates to be issued to the devices and I don’t think they do that yet with any Z-Wave devices.

So I got the GE ones suggested and nothing. These are even WORSE than the Leviton. They NEVER report their status to the hub. Not even after a refresh in the Smartthings app does it show, nor does anything show in the live logging. The only way I can get Smartthings to register a change is to make it through the app.

And add on to that there is a half second delay in turning on the light when you use the paddle on the primary switch. There isnt such a delay when using the secondary switch, its immediate.

its a shame too because the physical switches themselves feel less junky than the Leviton

It seems all of this stuff is in beta, despite how long its been out. I was hoping to be able to use a switch to wirelessly control outlets but apparently that isnt something that is supported.

If you still have the Leviton DZ15S switch it might be worth following up with SmartThings support. I believe this device is officially certified to work with SmartThings (it says "Works with SmartThings on the box and is listed in the app Marketplace), so there should be some interest from SmartThings and Leviton to get it working properly. And if the issue is really that the switch does not tell the device handler when the remote is used then that is something that could only be fixed with a firmware update in the switch. This would require some coordination between SmartThings and Leviton to issue the update.

Looks like that is what its going to take. Sadly when I got on with Leviton’ support they acted like that was by design and were kind of flabbergasted that I would think the lights being switched on by the “coordinating switch” should trigger the same scene as using the main switch. So I wouldnt give them too much credit.

Got in touch with Lutron, who is apparently the cause of all of this because they held all of the patents, and they are equally as moronic. 3 different standards within their own products that dont interact, only one (the cheapest and the ugliest, Caseta) works with any 3rd party controllers to become, in any way, smart. Basically all you get are a bunch of remote controls with the expensive systems. Its a shame because i love the maestro switches, but they are the dumbest of all smart switches out there.

Just a note for anyone interested. ZigBee does not suffer from this problem. Leviton and GE both make ZigBee variants. In fact, Leviton has a ZigBee switch (ZSS10-G0Z) that works with LEDs and does not require a neutral.

@archercc

Which ge models are you seeing a delay to turn on light when you push on the paddle of the master?

If you have one of the new GE Z-wave plus switches, they support double tap. That could be the cause of the delay (switch waits to see if you double tap).

Zigbee seems to not be popular in the US.

Im using new models posted above. http://www.ezzwave.com/z-wave-products/z-wave-plus-in-wall-smart-switch/ No mention of the double tap anywhere. And they only say they can be used in a scene in the instructions.

Also hitting up Linear. They mention Scene but dont really get into the grit of it.

Linear/gocontrol uses virtual threeways, which means the auxiliary switches do have a radio in them and they are visible to smartthings as a device independent of the master. For that reason you should get your status update directly from the auxiliary if you use those. However, I’m not sure how quickly those dimmers report.

As Far as zigbee goes, zigbee can be drowned out by very strong Wi-Fi, while Z wave is not. Zigbee remains very popular for high-end professionally installed home automation systems, such as control 4. And the Leviton zigbee devices were originally intended for hotels. My personal belief is that Z wave dominates the DIY market in the US for fixed location devices, such as light switches, because of the potential Wi-Fi interference issue. This is something that a professional installer can deal with pretty easily, but a DIYer might have more trouble with.

All of that said, the Lutron instant status patent applies to any radio frequency protocol, including Z wave, zigbee, Lutron, etc. Control 4 licenses the Lutron patents for their zigbee switches. GE does not. But in either case, GE uses the same auxiliary switch device for both Z wave and zigbee, which communicates with the master over physical traveler wires. I honestly don’t think you’re going to see any difference between a GE Zwave switch and a GE zigbee switch with regard to the issues that have been discussed in this particular thread.

The Leviton zigbee switch could solve the problem of not having a neutral at the light box, but it shouldn’t change status reporting one way or the other.

Hmmm … something wrong here.

I have a bunch of GE/Jasco in-wall switches (z-wave and plus models) and they definitely report their status. Here’s what I get from two of my switches … the kitchen is a three-way setup and the ceiling fan switch is two-way. Pics are from the IDE, Location -> Events. They report both physical and programmatic events:

Events show up in the ST app, too. Also, the GE/Jasco outlets report their status.

2 Likes

Not sure but the model numbers from the link above I contacted support from and they said specifically they are not scene capable and do not support instant or unsolicited status. Maybe they went backwards/cheaper with these models compared to the ones you have.

So pass on the VRS15 models. Those are junk and its setup so it looks like its always on and you have to press “off” really hard to get it to respond to anything.

So far really disappointed in the options. You’d think someone would make a quality z wave option by now.

I can confirm that using the Leviton DD00R matching remote dimmer with the Leviton DZ1KD dimmer does not trigger instant status updates from the dimmer to the device handler when switching the light on or off from the remote.

However, using the matching remote does trigger instant status updates when the dim level is adjusted. This is not really that useful for any application I can think of though.

I will assume that this same behavior applies to the DZ6HD dimmer and matching remote as well. I’m hoping enough people report these issues to Leviton and SmartThings so that a firmware update will get issued.

1 Like

There’s one more option to consider, although it’s not Zwave. But it will update the master status to SmartThings if the auxiliary is used.

As of March 2017, there is now an official cloud to cloud smartthings/Lutron Caseta integration. It does require a Lutron smartBridge. (One bridge can handle several dozen Lutron devices.) Lutron uses its own proprietary protocol, Clear Connect.

Lutron recommends using their wireless pico remote in a wallmount frame as an auxiliary, but you can also use conventional switches and physical traveler wires with some of their models.

The pico itself will be invisible to SmartThings so you can’t use its button presses for anything else, but it will be able to work to control the Lutron master switch.

And Lutron will report to SmartThings whenever the master turns on, regardless of what initiated it.

You can typically buy a bundle with the smartbridge, one inwall dimmer, and one pico for just under $99. After that, a switch plus pico set is typically around $60, although you may be able to find it for a little less. These are widely available in white at Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc. if you want black or other colors, you’ll probably have to use a specialty retailer.

https://www.amazon.com/LUTRON-P-BDG-PKG1W-Caseta-Wireless-Homekit-enabled/dp/B00MXCRAX8/

So that’s just another option for a three-way set up that would work with SmartThings, would also work if the Internet was down (the Dimmer/Pico connection runs locally), and would meet the status update requirement even though it isn’t zwave. So just thought I’d mention it. :sunglasses:

For more detail see the following thread:

I’m using the GE that I purchased from Lowes and it works without an issue. At first I had it set up as a 3 way switch. Later I decided to add a 2nd addon switch and made into a 4-way switch. So now I have 3 total switches that can control my kitchen lights. If I press the switch on any of the 3 switches, it reports the status correctly to ST.

2 Likes

Thanks for this post, recently bought a bunch of Leviton zwave and ST and found exact issue and just posted this exact question to forum. I did notice if you wait long enough in the app ~ 5mins, the status eventually does change. I just ordered a couple of the GE zwave switches and remote Add-One switches to test with; did you end up with a workable solution using Leviton ?