Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been doing a lot of research into smart things and connected homes, but there is still a lot I’m trying to understand. This community seems very active and knowledgable and I was hoping you all could help make sure I’m moving in the right direction.
Here’s my set-up now:
- I have a basement that is half a movie theater (with a projector) and half bar.
- The room has 12 canister lights, six on the theater side six on the bar side & one ceiling fixture at the top of the stair case.
- there are two dumb switches (3-way), one is a dimmer.
- I have a harmony remote & hub
- I don’t currently have a smart things hub, but am considering getting one
What I originally wanted to do:
- Set a scene on the remote that will turn off the lights on the theater side and dim the bar side.
- I was considering using hue or other color changing bulbs to create atmosphere
It seems to do all this, the only solution would be to change all 12 bulbs with smart bulbs and change the switch to a non dimmable smart switches (wife needs to be able to turn on the lights without her phone or harmony remote). To do all of this it seems as though it would cost over $500 and right now i’m not willing to spend that kind of money.
Alternatively, I am considering:
- Getting a GE smart switch dimmer and add on switch & smarthings hub and just leaving dumb bulbs throughout as this would be much more cost effective.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can achieve my original goal without breaking the bank? Or any new ideas I should consider?
Thank you for your help!