Basement application: Need some advice

I am in the US and I am finishing my basement. It will have 4 light switches that operate 4 different areas in the basement. I wanted to add a 5th switch at the stairs that turns all the other switches on or off. Can this be done? The “master switch” will not directly be wired to a light of its own, but can be next to another switch in the stairs for power.

Thanks for the help!

(I’ve moved this to project so you can get individualized responses based on your particular set up. :sunglasses:)

Sounds very practical. And sure, lots of people do that. There are all different kinds of devices that you can use. Basically the master device will send a message to the SmartThings hub which will then send the message to the other individual switches or groups of them as you like. See the following for possible devices for your fifth position. Some are battery powered and some are mains powered.

The other alternative would be to use a $20 Wi-Fi phone and set it up as a home automation dashboard. That way you could do additional options if you wanted.

SmartTiles is a very popular third party dashboard app that’s worth considering:

www.smarttiles.click

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will look into these for my project.

1 Like

Exactly what I needed to know about the empty load terminal. Thanks for your advice and I will look into the Dim With Me… sounds like something I can use!

1 Like

It really comes down to whether you just want a master switch or whether you want to have a fifth switch with the ability to turn on the different zones independently, not just all switches on or all switches off. So lots of options. :sunglasses: