Automation for room light?

Hello,

The basement of my house was not well designed. The light switch is on the other side of a room. I have exchanged it with a smart switch and am looking to set up a few routines.

I have already created the first piece of automation which turns on the smart switch lights when the motion sensor picks up movement. I am looking for the possibility of keeping the lights on only for as long as there is motion.

Also, my father is suffering from early stages of alzheimer’s. He often leaves the lights on in rooms he is no longer in. I am looking to create an automation that will shut off the room lights if there is no motion detected within say 15 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome! :sunglasses:

First, just to be sure we’re all talking about the same thing, this forum is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ home automation platform. So all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context.

It is a very busy forum, so it often comes up near the top of general home automation Google searches, but it is not a general forum.

So… if you are using the Samsung SmartThings platform, then this is quite easy to do, but we do need to know the brand and model of your current smart switch and whether you are using a smartthings hub or have a “hub optional” configuration. Also, what country you are in, as the devices and platform options do vary somewhat.

If you are not using the Samsung SmartThings platform, then I suggest you try the Reddit home automation sub forum, which covers all brands.

The motion sensor and hub are smartthings. I am located in the USA.

The basement room I first described is using the Kasa Smart HS200P3 Wi-Fi Switch.

1 Like

You should be able to use the official SmartLighting feature to manage your motion sensor, then. :sunglasses:

See steps one through four in the following FAQ for the instructions on how to get to smart lighting.

FAQ: create a virtual three-way using the “mirror“ feature of SmartLighting [NEEDS UPDATING]

Once you are there, The device you want to control is your smart switch.

The trigger will be your motion sensor, and you will see an option there to turn the light off again after the motion stops. :sleeping:

PERFECT! Thanks!

1 Like