Auto Lock Deadbolt?

I used to use wink and overall really like that I moved to smartthings. However, in wink I was able to have a very simple rule. If deadbolt is unlocked for longer than “x” minutes (I did 10) then lock the deadbolt. This worked great. On a rare occasion I would be standing at the front door talking to someone longer than 10 minutes and the deadbolt would lock but it was plenty easy to unlock it prior to shutting the door. I have tried the Enhanced Auto Lock Door smart app but it requires me to also have a set amount of time where the deadbolt will unlock if the door sensor shows the door is open. I’m not sure the benefit of this part of the rule or why it is required. Aside from webcore (I’m not sure I am ready to go down that path) what are other simple options for a rule to lock a deadbolt “x” minutes after unlocked?

Webcore, once you get past “what the heck is a piston?”, is relatively straightforward. Here’s what you can do with it and your deadbolt:

I have a schlage unit. I have it lock using the standard tool when the door closes. Good enough as that stands; that’s good security. The issues are that a) I do NOT want it to lock at all if the door is not closed, and b) I want it to automatically re-lock itself if it was unlocked, but the door was not opened within three minutes of the unlock event.

Webcore does both those things. Well worth the learning curve.

1 Like
1 Like

There’s a smartapp under “Safety and Security” called “Enhanced Auto Lock Door” by Arnaud. I have 4 instances of this set up - one each for front door and back door, in day mode (1 hour delay) and night mode (10 minute delay). Works reliably.

1 Like

To throw another option into the mix here: I have contact sensors on all my exterior doors. My front and back door auto-lock when the contact sensor is closed using a simple Routine in ST. That way, my doors are always locked when a door closes. Any contact sensor will work for this purpose and is relatively cheap (the new ST multipurpose sensors are available for $20/each now).

An added benefit to this approach is that I can query Alexa for door status (“Alexa, is the front door opened?”) without any special code or skills.