Arlo Cams coming in few weeks

Simple. Hit the gear when viewing SHM dashboard. Pick ‘custom’. Select ‘new monitoring rule’. Select ‘open/close’ then pick your contact from the list. Hit next. Then on the buttom of the page select the two cams. Select the options you want. And voila!

1 Like

Thank you /SBDOBRESCU

1 Like

I’m happy for the integration, but finding it forces me to make some changes I’d rather not make. Prior to the official support I was using a virtual switch and IFTTT and would change between two Arlo modes when someone was/wasn’t home. The two modes were identical, except one mode turned off the motion detection. This still allowed me to view my camera feeds even if the motion detection was turned off. Now it appears what I don’t have control over what Arlo mode I can switch to/from. It’s just the SmartThings mode and the only way to keep from getting alerts on motion from the Arlo app is to turn the cameras OFF via SmartThings, which seems overkill. Am I missing something?

If you are using your android phone for notifications, go into the system settings, to apps, to Arlo, to Notifications, then “Block All”. This is what I did. I don’t get the Arlo app notifications, but do get them through ST, which I prefer.

1 Like

But then won’t you miss other important notifications from the Arlo app, such as low battery warnings?

I never got a low battery notification from Arlo…

You’re right - it appears Netgear removed this from the app earlier this year.

Which must surely count as one of the most WTF things ever.

2 Likes

I’ve been with them since they launched Arlo, and don’t recall ever getting battery notif. I do have tons of gadgets so I may be wrong, though.

I never have either, but I do receive the “Your Batteries are Tired” emails from Arlo.

1 Like

And that’s also why I blocked the Arlo notifications, because I get the low battery warning in an email.

Would be great to have a 15 second recording option. I dislike having to wait for the recording to finish before I can see what is going on and going live takes too long.

1 Like

I was messing around with a few settings on the smartthings app and now my recorded videos aren’t showing in the arlo app library. I can still see the videos on the arlo website but nothing on the arlo iOS app. I have changed the settings to what they were, deleted and reinstalled the arlo app, deleted arlo from smartthings, restarted phone and both arlo and smartthings base stations. Nothing worked. Anyone else have similar issues?

Hi Bobby,
You seem to know a lot about the Arlo/ST/IFTTT integration. I’m having trouble with using virtual switches to trigger Arlo based on ST modes. You mentioned you use physical switches instead, can you tell me some details on your setup? I can’t seem to have IFTTT recognize the virtual switches I’ve created as an option in the device selection for the recipe I’d like to use. They display in IFTTT as a device and in ST as a thing but for some reason not available in the Arlo recipe. I’d appreciate any input you have or suggestions as you seem to have this working already!

Thanks,
Chris

@twack -
You can do it all in SHM custom rules now. Choose which camera’s motion you want to trigger recording on what cameras. You just create a separate rule for each scenario that you want. Like:

Motion on porch when mode is away > notify me and record on porch and driveway for 1 minute.
Motion on porch in all modes except away > record on porch for 30 seconds.
Motion on back porch or back door open while in away > notify me, alert with lights and record all cameras for 2 minutes.

The problem with setting custom rules is that they don’t run when you arm/disarm the system from the main Dashboard. Custom apps and Routines can trigger Modes, but not the other way around. Therefore, the Dashboard is useless for me now as I now have to arm/disarm the system from routines.

The Notify Me When app needs a page to select the devices you do not want to trigger wit an intrusion alert and there needs to be an official way to set and run Routines when Modes are selected.

Yes, a Cameras section needs to be added to Smart Apps.

Not sure what you mean by that. When do you see the switches in IFTTT and when you don’t? Anyhow, I was using a physical switch (Front Pole Light) which was turned on by the good night routine. I then had an IFTTT recipe set up as IF switch turns on THEN change Abode mode. I used this setup before ST’s official Arlo integration came out.

How do I do this?

1. Keep the motion and recording rules I set in Arlo
  2. Have the motion capture trigger a light

When I tried it by just connecting arlo to smartthings and just using the lighting app to trigger the light on motion the camera seems to no longer record

I am able to see the switches in Smart Things under Things. I am able to see it on the Smart Things website and allow IFTTT to have access to them. However, when I go to the recipe in IFTTT, the virtual switch/on off tile does not display, although all my other devices do. Is there a better way of going about this or am I missing a step?

I think you have to re-connect SmartThings channel in IFTTT to get access to newly added devices. Try that. Hopefully it helps.

I have completed this step before, I’ve removed and readded the channel multiple times, it allows me to select the switch during this process but I’m unable to select it as a device for the recipe. I’m starting fresh with my hub tonight so perhaps it will work?

Is there any way to record less than 30 seconds? I want the camera to record on motion when I am not at home during the day. I live on a busy street, if I let the cameras record for 30 seconds, they’ll most likely not turn off all day.

1 Like