Arlo Cams coming in few weeks

Yeah, I’ve tried that but now I’m getting dual push alerts and the emails :slight_smile:

Yeah… read my post about that from two posts before your post. It mostly works, but there are still issues. SHM needs a “Cameras” section that has behaviors and settings that are unique to how cameras operate and are used.

Please elaborate. I’m all ears (actually eyes cuz of its a forum)

2 Likes

Why do I still get motion detection alerts from the camera when it’s “off”?

I’m getting the dual alerts too. Rather vexing. I don’t understand why Arlo is sending “push alerts” when they are CLEARLY not selected in the SmartThings custom settings. I suspect this is something ST and Arlo are going to need to work out with the integration.

Did you edit the SmartThings mode in the Arlo App?
Did you change it from being in the SmarThings mode in the Arlo App?

For now… there are two ways to not get the dual notifications.

1. Go into the app settings on your device and turn off notifications from the Arlo app.
  2. Log out of the Arlo App.

Please take note of the “for now” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully not months :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done many things.

• I’ve switched from the SmartThings mode to disabled and back to SmartThings
  • I’ve tried changing the SmartThings mode in the Arlo app so I could adjust motion sensitivity.
  • I’ve tried changing from push notifications to emailed notifications so I could ditch the notifications in a dummy mailbox.
  • I’ve tried setting cameras to record in the Arlo app, then set them back to not record
  • I’ve NOT changed names of anything in the Arlo app
  • I’ve not deleted anything in the Arlo app

Currently the Arlo app is set to SmartThings mode. And Email notifications on all the rules. However I still get push notifications for the Arlo rules and push notifications from SmartThings.

First, please don’t take my feedback as being overly critical. I’m trying to be direct and honest and provide details that will allow you to help us. You guys are doing a bang up job in my opinion so far. Few companies would be as interactive with customers so thank you.

Second, I’ve tried your first suggestion and that does solve the problem, BUT, it also means I loose the ability for my Arlo Q camera to send me push notifications. As you can imagine, that is an undesirable outcome. I’ve not tried logging out of the Arlo app specifically. If this prevents the push notifications, I imagine it would have the same negative side effect of simply disabling notifications in the notification center on my phone wouldn’t it?

Thanks. I think, for now, my interim solution is to install the Do button app from IFTTT and set it to arm and disarm via a widget on Android and iOS.

Right now you can set up cameras in SHM either in the all or nothing method in the “Security” settings, or you can create Custom rules.

Problem with using the settings in Security is that they assume users want to always activate all selected cameras in the event of any intrusion. I myself don’t like this solution and would prefer finer control.

That leaves us with Custom Rules. Custom rules work, but then if you have say five cameras, and you’re creating multiple custom rules for each camera, then you also create custom rules for other “things”, pretty soon your custom rules get very crowded. Not to mention you have to create a custom rule for each and every thing you do, and you can’t just copy one rule and borrow some of it’s elements for another rule. Tedious and difficult to manage.

After thinking about it a little bit, I think there needs to be a “Cameras” section in SHM similar to how you have Smoke, Leaks and Custom. Then put in there things and logic that are unique to cameras.

• Create/Manage camera Rulesets to be used based on Armed/Disarmed/Away etc.
  • Rulesets that perform complex actions like a routine
  • Rulesets that control multiple camera settings and behavior (on/off, motion sensitivity, length of recording, sequence of recording, enable/disable infrared, etc…
  • Keep “custom” settings from getting cluttered with complicated camera rules

These are just quick ideas off the top of my head. I think there’s room for LOTS of improvement. Where we are now is a good starting place.

3 Likes

Where is the double like and three thumbs up?

That is an interesting idea, but I think the same can be achieved without major overhaul of the entire SHM structure, if the clips are made available on the ‘recently’ tab for each cam. Then you can create a room for your cams and you would have links to your rules under the SmartApps tab.

I have edited my Arlo SmartThings mode with intent of turning off Arlo notifications. That mode no longer shows rules in it, but it seems to be working okay. Is this not recommended? Thanks to the SmartThings team for their quick support in this thread!!!

1 Like

I never thought of using Rooms like this, and it works ok with one exception. It isn’t possible to add “things” to more than one room at a time. So if I’ve already got a camera as a thing in another room, I can’t use a room to organize all the cameras together.

I must say, all the good talk about Arlo made me curious to see what it was all about.

Well,the talk wasn’t wrong, if not using it for a true security cam (takes a while to wake up), the integration is awesome! I like the saved video view on SmartThings and the motion alert as well.

I mainly plan on using my to monitor my front porch because my UPS guy doesn’t like to ring the door bell. It will be nice to look at the video and be like oh there is a package there.

I wish SmartThings could do a similar thing with the Community based Cams though, I have a few dropcams indoor I would like to have the same feature

4 Likes

I know its new but I love the arlo integration!!! Android app set-up was seamless and link to live mode worked as expected. Thank you!

2 Likes

Why am I having issues understanding this. I simply want to turn on two Arlo’s to record when my front door sensor opens. Can anyone walk me through this?

Well even the SmartThings integration couldn’t save it for me. Sent my Arlo camera kit back to Amazon today. Performance just wasn’t up to it for me. The amount of stuff it missed combined with the other compromises involved were too great for something that’s going to be used for security.
Sent them back and got 4x1080p wired PoE cameras witha 2TB local storage station and cloud backup for near enough the same money. It wont have SMartThings integration but does have mobile and web access and records 24/7 so should suit my needs better.

1 Like