Are the Samsung Multipurpose Sensors worth getting?

Hello! First time poster here. Iā€™m just getting started on my smart home journey, and I wanted to consult the experts. Iā€™m going to take advantage of this Labor Day sale and get the hub, but I may also get some of the other stuff. Specifically the multipurpose sensor. It looks like it would work fine, but there are other sensors that also look good. The Fibaro eyeball thing looks awesome, the NYCE NCZ-3014-HA ZigBee Garage Door (Tilt) Sensor is tiny and would be nice to have on the garage door.

So I guess what Iā€™m asking is: is the Samsung multipurpose sensor sold in the smartthings store worth it? I donā€™t mind troubleshooting finicky devices, as long as they work well once theyā€™re set up. Iā€™d love to get cheaper stuff, but if the Samsung Multipurpose sensors are cost-effective, I might as well get those while theyā€™re on sale.

Welcome! :sunglasses: It just depends on what you want to use them for. They have an accelerometer, which can solve some specific use cases that you canā€™t do without other kinds of sensors. But different people have different needs and like different features.

The following thread discusses the various different features and why you might want them:

@JDRoberts Thanks for the link!
From your experience, is the samsung multipurpose sensor better/worse/more economical/less economical than, say a dedicated tilt sensor. Or perhaps than a dedicated temp/motion sensor?

It depends on the specific use case. Thereā€™s no one answer. :sunglasses:

If you want a magic cube, you have to get the Samsung or another sensor with an accelerometer.

If you want to know if an object has been moved in three-dimensional space, again, you need an accelerometer.

If you only want to measure tilt ( which is two dimensions, not three), there are simpler less expensive tilt sensors you can buy.

But itā€™s like asking whether a BMW I series is better than a pick up truck. It just depends on what you want to do with it. :articulated_lorry: