Any update on echo speaks lite?

There are multiple ways to recreate the hub connect functionality using our new APIs. Any interested developers using home assistant, hubitat, or whatever other thing can use these APIs. There is rest based oAuth API in closed beta right now. A more immediate solution would be an endpoint SmartApp running on whatever platform you wish to connect to ST. This would expose your ST device states and controls.

5 Likes

Probably as we know HubConnect today, but a similar solution will be somewhat trivial (using that term lightly) to design and operate against the SmartThings Cloud API. The Hubitat Hub can use other cloud APIs today, pretty sure ST API would not be an exception.

(and thanks Jody for the confirmation!) - edited.

1 Like

That’s awesome. ST has taken positive steps to reduce cloud to cloud traffic (an issue with apps like Echo Speaks). So can we assume these new APIs will be local, so Home Assistant or OpenHAB won’t have to keep hitting the ST cloud?

Today these are cloud only

1 Like

Hey @jody.albritton since amazon and Smartthings are working together for matter is there a possibility we can see echo devices show up in smartthings so that we can use them for TTS?

Almost certainly. My reading of the tea leaves is that HubConnect on SmartThings is gone when Groovy goes away. The existing remote drivers for HubConnect use the same Groovy code for remote SmartThings or remote Hubitat hubs. Given that the primary HubConnect author has moved on it would require someone new to come on board and write lots of new code to interface to the new ST APIs.

2 Likes

What is the value of Echo speaks when we have the ability to run routines in Alexa with voice? I am confused. Maybe I wasn’t a EchoSpeaks power user.

Personally, I only use Echo Speaks to turn my various Alexa devices into a TTS device for SmartThings/Hubitat.

1 Like

Well it does not work anymore

One value is being able to run routines as part of another automation and without using a voice command. @jlv has already indicated another.

1 Like

Why not use virtual switches and then Alexa routine with voice?

The virtual switch method requires creating one routine for each scenario, which can be both time consuming and you might even hit the maximum limit of 99 routines.

For example, if you have four people in the family and you want to create a routine that announces who has just come home, an echo speaks you could do that with one rule and not have it count against your routines maximum.

Just using the virtual switch method, you would have to have four routines.

People had many other similar use cases that depended on these kinds of variables, including which echo device would make the announcement. Again, with the virtual switch method you need one routine for each set of values.

You can definitely do a lot with the virtual switch method, and it’s been very popular, you could just do more with echospeaks. And the UI made it very easy to set up complex combinations of conditions.

It was nice while it lasted
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Worst thing for me is that i discovered echo speaks 2 months before it was shut down

1 Like

today i use smartthings with nodered installed on orangepi zero and i have better ad capabilities in alexa than i had before in echo speaks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information of voice monkey. It’s not as good as echo speaks but better than just using Alexa routines.

Can you provide a piston example that shows this functionality?