Any existing setup for Automated system to grows plant/hydroponic garden?

Not sure if something already available for smartthings. I am new to smart home automation and not coder by any means, recently bought samsung, ikea and xiaomi things which have temperature, humidity, air pressure, luminance, water sensor etc. Today i saw sale on 10w ikea grow light bulbs in my local ikea store and though it would be great using these through zigbee power outlet and automation using all switched, sensors, actuators etc .

on quick google search i found following youtube video, i see much more possibilities through smartthings including water change, nutrient addition, air circulation, light etc as needed according to variable factors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzrJrCywY18 .

Some people have done a few things, but on the whole smartthings is not reliable enough to trust for this kind of project. Unless you’re going to check it every day. The company says so themselves in the usage guidelines:

Data accuracy and consistency from SmartThings sensors, including those provided by SmartThings directly, resold by SmartThings, or supported by SmartThings, is not guaranteed. Therefore, you should not rely on that data for any use that impacts health, safety, security, property or financial interests. For example, because temperature readings may vary significantly from reading to reading on an individual device, between devices, or over time, those readings should not be used to control heating and cooling in environments where food spoilage, health risks, or damage to physical goods could occur.

But if it’s just for convenience, people do quite a few different things. You can see the project reports by looking on the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, looking down towards the bottom of that page for the “project reports“ section and then choosing the list on “irrigation and gardens.” But there aren’t a lot, usually people get specialty systems specifically designed for that purpose.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

1 Like

You might also use a search of the forum for turning (grow) lights on/off on a schedule and how people use smart valves.

Most of the valve discussions are on the “irrigation and gardens“ quick browse list mentioned above. :sunglasses:

Yes, the standard fixed schedule/timer function for lights and remote control of valves is understood. I was thinking about and expecting better automation like available irrigation system in above link but for smaller indoor garden or hydroponics with more variables, where system set the time and brightness as required considering if there is also some natural light and how much it is by use of luminance and UV etc sensors. auto water change based on ph value and other factors. Option to set notification if camera notice brown leafs. otherwise timer for power and water valve are available since long time.

And yes this wiki link is really good resource. New stuff for me, so not aware with culture here much :slight_smile:

1 Like

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.