Another set of "After Iris" Questions

I’m quite impressed with the ease of integration so far. And there are some great improvements. Still have to bring a few things on.

I can’t seem to find a way to control an earlier generation Osram Lightify flex strip. I have a couple that are currently “orphaned.” Understand the “Smart+” models may be easier. Anyone have any suggestions to bring the original Osram/Sylvania flex strips on to the system?

Also – opted for the latest generation hub and the latest generation app. I will want to move to self monitoring. Maybe to ADT. Should I get the ADT sensors even if not currently planning to move that way? Additionally, can the same sensors work with two hubs? In other words, could I add the ADT hub later without moving them off the current hub?

Also have an earlier generation Samsung Smart TV. But it’s before 2016. Any way to integrate it?

I’m loving the idea the community here is so active and current.
Thanks in advance for the help!

1 Like

Welcome! :sunglasses:

The dual logo ADT/smartthings Contact and motion sensors will only work with the ADT/Smartthings model hub. They use a different radio frequency which is only available with that model. So there’s no point in buying them for any other model hub, they will not be able to communicate with it.

Also, most devices can only work with one hub. That includes the ADT /SmartThings dual logo devices, and Z wave and zigbee devices. There are some Wi-Fi and LAN devices, including the Phillips hue bridge, which can be integrated with more than one hub at the same time. But those are the exception.

An earlier model Samsung TV is just like any other brand as far as integration goes. If you get the Logitech Harmony hub, you will be able to integrate that with SmartThings, so you can do things like turn the TV on and change the channel. But volume control and fast forward is not well-integrated. It can be done, but it’s pretty clunky.

There’s another unofficial integration method that uses an extra device as a server which does let you get access to the individual keypresses, but it’s very technical and non programmers have a hard time setting it up.

[RELEASE] KuKuHarmony - DTH and SmartApp that support to control devices in Logitech Harmony(using Harmony-API)

So it really comes down to the details of what you want to do and how much effort you want to put into that particular integration.

On the other hand, if you’re just looking for an echo integration with the TV, the native Logitech Harmony/Echo integration is very good without having smartthings in the picture at all. So if you get the Harmony hub you could definitely have smartthings turn the TV on to a specific channel when you get home, or turn it off at a particular time of day or whatever, and use Echo for voice control of more granular tasks.

You will find some old pre-2018 threads in the forum about other integration methods for Samsung TVs, but they mostly don’t work anymore.

3 Likes

I have 2 of the early led light strips. After a hard reset they both paired with no problems. You will have to google the reset process. It involves unplugging and repluging the controller several times. After the reset, they easily paired.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I notice you are frequently quick to give good advice. I have the older TV integrated with Fire Cube. It does most of what I need. Can you bring Fire Cube under SmartThings?

Perfect. Both the old strips are now paired. Would not have thought of a hard reset. I’ve got a lot to learn…
Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any hints on bringing the Halo smoke/fire detectors on to the smartthings hub? Only shows first alert as the option…

They are supported. I have 9 of them working very well. You’ll probably need to reset them by long pressing the center button (Google Halo reset), and then then join them to ST.

Found the reset process:

To reset, hold down center button for
approximately 20+ seconds. Halo will reset all ZigBee settings and leave the network.

Thanks. I did that with one. That is, to do the master reset. Do I need to erase/master reset all of them at one time before proceeding to add them back? Don’t see the “routine” to “add thing” that supports Halo. What do you use to “add thing?”

SmartThings Classic app in My Home > Things

1 Like

You can do one at at time (reset then add to ST). As @jkp mentioned, use the ST Classic app, sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

1 Like

So I’m understanding that I shouldn’t have to add them manually. Just use the reset, then put the smoke into discover mode (shows flashing purple) and set the classic app to find thing. Do I have it correctly?

1 Like

That WORKED. The folks in this community ROCK!

2 Likes

Smartthings/ ADT water leak detector is zigbee, and it works with regular hub.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve corrected my post above.

Sorry, no experience with Amazon Fire devices.

Mine worked a little differently. Once I removed them from Iris, they went into setup mode and paired up in Smarthings with no problem.

1 Like