Android as a Speech/Alarm Device released! And Updated!

Everything seems to be in order, I’m sorry but I’m out of suggestions except to try and install everything from scratch again. The difference for me is that I’m running an older version of LANnouncer.

Thanks for trying

Try force stopping the app on the android device… Then reopen and initialize it.

(Replying to @Danabw re: github)
Not sure what you’re asking. I do use source control for it, and the driver code was submitted to SmartThings 14 months ago along with the approval request. They never got around to it and deleted outstanding requests about eight months ago.

The only other thing I’m wondering is, what shows in the LANNouncer log on the device? You should receive a timestamp and message for each command received. If you get one for the browser-sent, and nothing for the SmartThings-sent, commands, that implies that the command isn’t making it to the Android device.

Which could mean the SmartThings hub can’t talk to the same subnet possibly? Are they both on the same wireless SSID?

@NWTony: Sorry I wasn’t clear…I’d like to link directly to your repo in my Smartthings IDE so that I can easily track when there are changes and update quickly via IDE via “update from repo.”

As described here: FAQ: Github Integration How to Add and Update from Repositories

My android local IP is 192.168.1.2
My hub local IP is 192.168.0.2

Is that a problem?

That might indeed be the problem. Obviously I don’t know your network topology, but you generally want devices that will communicate as peers on the same subnet.
In other words, you have a router or modem, acting as a gateway. Probably at 192.168.1.1, but it might not be. Everything else in your network should have a 192.168.1.x address, unless they’re talking to a different gateway.
Again, this might not really apply to you, if for example you’re in a dorm on a shared internet with 300 of your closest friends. But it’s the more typical set-up.

1 Like

Hello

I installed LANnouncer on my android device and have configured LANnouncer and Big Talker on my SmartThings app. However, Big Talker does not seem to recognise my LANnouncer device as a “Talk with these text-to-speech device” on the SmartThings app (I only get the option to select my Bose Speaker).

Is there any reason why that might be happening?

The LANnouncer device is recognised as a Siren for other Handlers on the SmartThings App. But it just seems like that Big Talker doesn’t seem to have recognised it.

thanks for this, I was losing my mind.

1 Like

OK. I solved it. My ST hub was plugged directly into my modem rather than into my router which resulted in my hub having 192.168.0.x for local IP and my android device (and anything else connected to router) had 192.168.1.x for local IP. I replugged ST hub into router and now it also has 192.168.1.x and everything works perfectly.

Thanks everyone for your help!

2 Likes

Ive installed lannouncer device handler, created lannouncer device, installed lannouncer android app. CURL commands create audio just fine on android device. Buttons in lannouncer smartapp DO change when you select them, but no sounds. Static IP is setup.

So I cannot get the lannouncer app buttons to create sound and cannot get Big talker to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

I found my answer higher in this thread, need to select the HUB in LANNouncer device. I just had the LOCATION selected.

I

1 Like

Anyone else getting the following error when attempting to load the script into SmartApp?

“No signature of method: script14836769022011107670841.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script14836769022011107670841$_run_closure1) values: [script14836769022011107670841$_run_closure1@7c0e9e76] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)”

I’m a nob, so I’ll leave this for the next nob that makes the same mistake… I was attempting to load the script into “My SmartApps” rather than the CORRECT location under “My Device Handlers”.

1 Like

Wait what? How do they just delete a request that they never got around to? That just madness!

I know this has to be in here somewhere, but I didn’t find a post in my quick search. Please point me there or tell me what to search for if you know…

In at least one case, I have a situation where there are two configured rules that tell LANnouncer to say something at the same time. As I’m sure you know, the second one to fire cuts off the first one in mid-sentence.

What is the best way to configure things that will allow them both to happen, one after the other…AND, can I determine the order?

[quote=“sgnihttrams, post:342, topic:30282, full:true”]
…In at least one case, I have a situation where there are two configured rules that tell LANnouncer to say something at the same time. As I’m sure you know, the second one to fire cuts off the first one in mid-sentence…[/quote]

I think I found the only part of the thread that has addressed this so far…

So, is that the only solution anybody has been able to work with?
If so, I will simply go edit my Rule Machine rules (and then CoRE when I get going with it) to stager the announcements.

One more question…for those using this staggered/delayed approach, does it seem to work well enough, and did you have to play with it for a while to get the delay period right?

I haven’t paid too much attention to this issue lately as I only had a few times where I wanted to have multiple statements. If I remember correctly, part of the problem is the inconsistency of delays that are less than a minute due to the ST cloud or possibly other factors. It was just a bit of trial and error to get the timing right and that wasn’t always consistent. Lately, I have realized that it was just better to keep things simple or to just one statement because it gets really old fast to have a “chatty cathy” notification.

1 Like

Probably being a bit thick as ever, but I have Smartthings devices driving CoRe pistons triggering Big Talker which in turn triggers LANnouncer and that gets Alexa saying stuff. All great.
However, when it triggers I I want Alexa’s volume to go to Maximum (and then ideally return to previous setting or a fixed setting I enter). I’ve got the LANnouncer android driver at max but Alexa isn’t loud enough.
I have a feeling I’ve done this once but for the life of me I can’t find it. Maybe it was when I was playing with VLCThing though. Can I do this with current set-up?

Thanks for the help.
Lee