Android app update 8 February 2020 - v1.7.43-22

I actually prefer arrows over the slider for the thermostat. Sliders are tough to use in small increments.

2 Likes

True, but when wanting to jump 2 or 3 degrees at a time I miss that feature. We were actually really use to that because our thermostatā€™s glass front has a touch slider and itā€™s become quite handy.

I personally donā€™t like having to press the cog to change modes, but I can get over that. I liked the look of the slider better, but the arrows are definitely more practical for Fahrenheit applications. Would only be good for those Celsius users if the increase/decrease amount was .5, but thatā€™s a whole other problem.

1 Like

So a little positive (or less negative) feedback on this version of the app.

• Device control seems to be a little faster through the dashboard and/or through the deviceā€™s page. At least from what Iā€™m experiencing. Unfortunately state updates on the dashboard are broken (still). The light and lock Iā€™m testing are easily controllable, but their states arenā€™t changing in the Dashboard.
  • I like the filtering feature for history. Thatā€™s especially handy for devices that report energy. Trying to find on/off ion history was very difficult, but now you can filter on activity and then on states of that capability.

Ah, OK, Iā€™ve just received the update and get the black all the time now, and that is distracting. Just warming up my Paddington Bear stare for that change ā€¦

Not keen on this, either ā€¦

However that might have been there already.

2 Likes

Here is my findings on this one:

1. I just got the support telling me my keypad decimal point was fixed by this version butā€¦ not. Still not able to enter 18.5C in the automation editor but I can enter it in the Thermostat temperature editorā€¦

2. I also lost my thermostat and other devices view: it shows only ā€œconnectedā€ but force stop the app and restart solved the issue.
  3. The capabilities I needed are almost implemented but sometimes still missing either gauge or history or more than 1 bar history (see snapshots).

4. The temperature and humidity are merged into 1 gauge but history is now 1 bar only see snapshot:

The new update SLOWS DOWN the device status page by a WHOLE SECOND(i.e. when you go into a device to see its status), wondering what improvements they put to this new ā€œadd onā€ view??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Samsung is just creating a NEED for that gorgeous (and powerful) Samsung S20 Ultraā€¦ I need to have my ST app run faster, so where can I line up to buy my S20U? :wink:

1 Like

Frankly, thatā€™s my biggest issue with the new app. Itā€™s just plain slow. Classic wasnā€™t a screamer, mind you, but it was faster than the new app.

I can overlook some of the missing functionality as I assume it will get added eventually, but they need to figure out why itā€™s so slow. Waiting 4 or 5 seconds each time you select a device just for the on/off button to show up is no bueno.

3 Likes

I would not assumeā€¦ but I do hope they will.

I agree that the delay in updating status of the devices is painful. When I scroll down the dashboard, I see more ā€œChecking statusā€¦ā€ than anything useful. While the old GUI was pretty ugly, it was easier to see what was on or off at a glance. With the new app, I struggle to find the correct device out of a couple hundred, and it is not obvious at-a-glance whether it is active or notā€¦ I actually have to pay attention to figure it outā€¦ if you get what I mean.

Automation and voice control have become my primary control methods as using either app plainly sucks.

1 Like

It was faster prior to the February update, in fact a few of my devices are still having old device status UI (without the ā€œadd onā€), and even those are faster than new"add on" UI, and i was comparing to the pre-update ui response time.

When you say classic is faster, yes it is, but you may ignore the fact that even going on device status page will have a little delay to update to latest status, and Iā€™d say itā€™s comparable to the response time prior to February update.

1 Like

Yes I came onto the ST scene when the new app was already established so I have rarely used the classic. But I will say itā€™s quite noticeably slower than it was when I first started using it.

I believe it was similar with the previous versions too.

Can you hot Done when you enter 18.5? For me it is grayed out. Is it , or . should be? One of them is greyed out on the keypad, if it gives a 4x3 numeric key setup.
If I got the normal keyboard I can put , or . But one of them just crashes the app.

Do you see the same still?

1 Like

Oh you are correct, the ā€œdoneā€ is disable if I leave 18.5 and if I delete the 5 and try to add it again, the digit wonā€™t show up. I might have dreamt it worked in this case. So finally it still doesnā€™t work

Happens to me too. Iā€™d prefer that all the controls, color, CT, Dimmer, etc be above the ā€œquick rulesā€ section. That along with closing up some of the wasted space might limit the need to scroll in the first place.

1 Like

Hey @pauly, am I seeing that right in your second image where your color temperature is 100k?

1 Like

Dang, that got me all excited - I thought the color temps had been expanded. Alas, I still canā€™t have ST bring my LIFX warmer than 2200k, even though they go to 1500k in the LIFX app.

That is due to the wrong vid specification.

And the 100k is due to the missing vid specification. But probably it is not even working.

About 4 days ago i changed the batteries in one of my yale z-wave locks, it stayed at 16% for 2 days after that, even though i was pulling down to refresh it in the new app. Finally i went into the classic app and hit the refresh button and it instantly updated to 100%. Today I changed another locks batteries at about 9am and refreshed in the new app, at 3pm it was still at 1% and again i had to refresh from the device page of the classic app to get it to 100%. So for me anyway, the classic app is required to get new battery readings for z-wave locks using the default dth. Anyone else notice this behavior?

3 Likes