Android app status

Yes, I have been able to access the Android beta forum. But with TestFlight down, I can’t actually access the SmartThings beta, so I can’t really contribute to the forum (besides upvoting Tasker integration).

Supposedly on the testflight site, it says it’s up as of 15:55:54??? . . wait, that says April. So where are you seeing the up/not up status?

The Android app isn’t working. I was able to see a former test app when I first downloaded and logged in, but it hasn’t been working since then. I thought it was me, but Cory S said Testflight was bombed for him, so I’m assuming it is a TestFlight thing. I did a whole variety of things to try and fix it (when I thought it was on my end) including the following (and none had fixed it):

1. Uninstall app, reinstall app, open app.
  2. Uninstall app, delete original apk, download apk, install app, open app.
  3. Force close app, reopen app.
  4. Install app, restart phone, open app.
  5. Force close app, clear data, reopen app.
  6. Force close app, clear data, uninstall app, install app, open app.
  7. Go to testflightapp.com, logout, log back in, download and install app, open app.

Yep, I’ve tried all of those things. I still can’t do anything at all in the TestFlight app.

Has anyone managed to get it working?

@formix: I looked back at the e-mail, and it mentions in passing that you can’t log into the forum with your ST account. So, okay. I was able to login with my google account.

But yeah, no luck actually installing the app…

It’s up! Got it installed!

Be prepared to reinstall all your apps. Trying to reconfigure them on android equal insta crash.

Thank you for prompting me to check again. I finally have it installed!

I cannot seem to install any app I’ve tried yet (not many) notifiy me for example keeps telling me all fields are required.

I got one installed… Seems push notifications aren’t working yet.

You also can’t change the appearance of anything, or control dimmer switches.

I haven’t tried installing any SmartApps yet, though. I was focused on the adventure that was adding two Jasco dimmers…

@corys, I filed a bug for that “all fields required” problem. I’m having it too. So I guess I can’t install any SmartApps tonight then. On the plus side, I was eventually able to add all of my dimmer switches.

I’m jealous…no invite yet :frowning:
Cheers!
Scott
p.s. Alex already has an update on YouTube with the Android App.

I hope landscape support is on their radar. I’d like to be able to use my wall mounted tablet I setup for this.

Yep. Got it now. Still can’t get into the forum, though…

I second the landscape support option for the android app. I personally prefer my iPhone and iOS, but I too was thinking of getting a cheapo android tablet to mount to the wall - to be used as a centralized home controller panel.

I hope it will be possible to use the app from multiple devices without conflict.

Maybe a future release could even be designed for 24/7 tablet use, since home automation touchscreens are way too pricey. Just a thought.

Finally arrived today. Applied for the android beta… I’m a bit impatient… anyone have an apk?

Sorry Tim, but your situation is just like mine; sadly enough the company behind all this doesn’t seem to find it necessary after many delays in shipping our stuff that Android development should have been a top priority on their list, hence the embarrassing (imho) delays on this app. I don’t think it was a time issue, but in all honesty I don’t know what the heck they were thinking here. I understand they don’t want just anybody to test, however they could have, at least, cross checked their ‘shipped’ list with those that signed up for the beta and give them access. Those that sign up are aware (or at least should be) of the pitfalls of testing beta software. As I said on Google+; the box is nice but man I’d like to do something with its contents.

@islanddutch, Currently, there is very little you can do with the Android app past turning things on or off. The apps side is a buggy mess still. I know this doesn’t help much, but just throwing it out there.

I’m not a professional developer but I don’t understand why they did not develop an HTML5 web app first? Or some sort of web app as the first priority?
Starting with a specific platform app seems like the wrong approach to a cloud based business.
Scott