Android App (1.7)

My generic camera devicetype broke too. Think it is now related to outputMSGtos3 breaking and not specifically android, but can’t confirm.

This is really frustrating.

3 Likes

@Tyler, @tgauchat,

Access to a beta test apk, and a regression testing platform (for any cloud related issues) would be ideal…

The way I see it, SmartThings relies a lot on its community of developers (even to solve support issues), yet we are kept in the dark as to where the product is going (roadmap), and any upcoming releases.

My 2 cents.

2 Likes

When you install a new app, the app label under “Assign a name” is pre-populated with “Tap to set”.

Once the SmartApp installation is complete, it’s name is changed to “Tap to set”.

Now, all of my apps are called “Tap to set”!

1 Like

Yea, I noticed this as well.

Yves, you’ll have a chance to speak with the mobile team on the second April’s developer discussion.

In the mean time, I’ll pass your feedback over.

1 Like

Have not been able to access Things since 1.7.0, on 1.7.1 now and still get this when trying to access thing.

I have closed
I have rebooted
I have logged out and back in

I’m submitting ticket now.

2 Likes

@tgauchat, @mattjfrank, for me, that error comes from a tile value color bug on certain things. Initially I got the same error triggered by the Aeon Home Energy Monitor thing. I would see that when I tried to load a sub-group of things, not at the top level Things view. Had my HEM watts tile been at the top view, I would have never been able to view my things at all. I had to edit my AEON HEM device type to remove anything that looked like this:

/* backgroundColors:[
			[value: "0 Watts", 		color: "#153591"],
			[value: "3000 Watts", 	color: "#1e9cbb"],
			[value: "6000 Watts", 	color: "#90d2a7"],
			[value: "9000 Watts", 	color: "#44b621"],
			[value: "12000 Watts", 	color: "#f1d801"],
			[value: "15000 Watts", 	color: "#d04e00"], 
			[value: "18000 Watts", 	color: "#bc2323"]

]*/

So if you have a device type with similar code, try commenting out the values to tile background colors like I did above. In previous Android mobile app, the colors would not display right, but with the ver 1.7x app, the entire page will fail to load on unexpected error if a values/color tile is the top level icon for that device.

A simple test you could do in IDE, is move suspect color tile devices to a “group”. You should then be able to navigate to the top level Things page. Try viewing each group until you find the group that produces that error.

1 Like

Thanks for the specific example – indeed, it probably is the HEM causing the problem.

At the moment, I’ve reverted to 1.6.9 with any problems, because I keep backups.
Use at your own risk:

http://cosmicpuppy.com/SmartThingsAssets/com.smartthings.android-1.6.9.apk

It would be preferable if ST were to offer a bugfix release with non-fatal exception handling of the unsupported Tile-Color syntax rather than hanging, of course, no, please?? @April? Thanks!!!

I want to know who beta tested this Android app?

Did they have a single community written app installed? Devicetype?

Did they have any 3rd party devices installed at all?

This is getting really absurd. @Tyler was so “excited” about this release. I too have reverted back, thanks to a backup I had.

I hope someone from the Android dev team can come forward and explain why 1.7.x is so backwardly broken for anything the community has written.

And they better not blame the poor docs @Jim has tried to improve… The answer isn’t simply change the docs, but to fix this broken app.

3 Likes

This has been the cause of every custom device type that crashes on me. The docs site is down for me at the moment. Is there an alternative to using (\n)?

1 Like

I try to stay off the negativity bandwagon, but the reply I got from support was insulting. They apparently didn’t even bother to read my issue or look at my screenshot. (same as what I posted above) Here was the reply. At least someone was helpful, thanks @Dlee your suggestion fixed the problem.

@April, @Tyler anyone who might have an influence over support…

Is there any way that active community users can be flagged by support to not just just give canned responses?

It just wastes everyone’s time having to then wait for that response, count to 10, delete x number of responses and then calmly respond.

Hello @jodyalbritton, I’ve reported the problem to @Tyler, but no response so far about how to correctly format our value tiles within the new UI framework for Android.

I also notice that any special characters in the value tile’s label field (such as ° for degrees) can make the UI crash on certain android devices (ex. Samsung Galaxy S4 running Lollypop, LG Tablet running 4.4), but not the Nexus 4,5,7 devices (as you may know).

Moreover, I’m not certain but as the new UI framework displays the whole scale of any float/Double fields, this can also introduce some problems at load time.

Bye for now.

Here’s something interesting. The screen shots below are from my phone and tablet for exactly the same device. Note the different image used for the water valve. That never happened before until I upgraded the app (both the phone and tablet). Also, ST’s image library http://scripts.3dgo.net/smartthings/icons/ only shows one of them.

Phone:

Tablet:

@tgauchat, for me reverting back to a previous version is not always possible… Let me explain.

As soon as one of my custom devices’ user upgrade to V1.17 or any other version, I also need to upgrade at least one of my devices in order to fix the potential issues she/he is facing…

That’s the problem with any upgrade in a community like ST, we’re all interlinked…The problem needs to be fixed at the source…

Bye for now.

A lot of weirdness with icons in this release. I don’t see any icons at all on my Galaxy Tab 3, but I see icons just fine with my nexus 5. Even when I try and browse the available icons the categories are all blank.

Nexus 5

Tab 3

1 Like

Same exact thing here. Can’t change most apps without getting that error. Can’t group lights on the dash, and now since this update when “living room lights” turn on, one or two of them won’t go with the rest. =(

In last 48 hours, the on/off command for my outlet and aeon micro switch is unreliable and it’s not operating properly.
Turning on and turning off command is having crazy delay, and the command is failure to send.

It’s not working now, and it’s frustrating.

This happens to me just when trying to group 3 Cree bulbs. =(

So many issues with this app. The new overly large fonts make everything fit ugly. Especially in the lights shortcuts.

After upgrading my Cree lights keep not wanting to turn on. Issue appears to be my 2nd gen ST motion sensor, it now doesn’t want to detect motion 99% of the time. Ugh

Getting in weird errors when trying to regroup my Cree bulbs.

Also the widget functions nice but IMO follows the same ugly aesthetics of the app but crammed into a widget. This is probably just me being spoiled by all the other widgets on my phone matching typical android style lol.

Can’t wait til we can get widgets that are shortcuts to lights and things!

Hopeful 1.8 will include an appearance overhaul. Material design FTW =P