Amcrest says their cameras are not recommended for SmartThings

I had bought an Amcrest camera to try out and got it working in ZoneMinder and SmartThings. Then I saw on forums here and else where that they had removed Basic Authentication from newer firmware versions. This would break how it worked in SmartThings (see other topic). Because I need to get at least three more cameras, I contacted Amcrest to see if I could get assurances that I’d be able to use both SmartThings and ZoneMinder. Here is my email and their reply:

I recently purchased a IP2M-844EW and am happy with the performance and have been able to integrate it into ZoneMinder. However, reading your forums and elsewhere it looks like you have removed Basic Authentication in more recent firmwares, for at least some cameras and have not provided an way to pass in the credentials via the URL (such as Foscam). I don’t know if I got lucky with a camera with an old firmware, you added it back into new firmware revisions, or haven’t broken this model yet.
I need to get at least 3 more cameras but am hesitant to go with Amcrest despite being happy with this one if I am not going to be able to use them in the method I want to. I.e. in ZoneMinder and Samsung Smartthings.
Can you give me assurances that additional cameras of this model that I buy will not have this issue or should I find a different brand that does not have this issue. Or point me to a different comparable model that will work with Basic Authentication.

Hi,
Thank you for contacting us and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Unfortunately we do not recommend Zone Minder and Samsung Smart things for Amcrest cameras.So we cannot give an assurance.
With regards,
Simon Butler

Hope you have better luck than I did, I just returned an Amcrest Bullet that dies after 6 days.

Was very unimpressed with their setup,software, etc… I’m leaning towards Foscam.

1 Like

Of course they would say that. They want you to use their cloud service…

3 Likes

Sure, but that means I will be returning the one I have and not buying any more of theirs. Presumably they’ve done the math and think they will do better by locking people into their services and being closed rather than being open and working with others.

I’ve also been playing around with a Foscam. While I think the Amcrest has better video and is physically smaller, I will most likely go with the it since it does work in ZoneMinder and SmartThings.

Don’t even bother with Foscam they are not really even a thing anymore…

We, Foscam.US (aka Foscam Digital Technologies and now Amcrest Technologies), are an independent United States based distributor of “Foscam” branded products. We have been offering telephone support, US local warranty and building the Foscam brand in the US for the past 7 years. However, we are deeply saddened to report that, even after all of this, our overseas suppliers have decided to undercut us and supply to our major customers directly. For this reason, we have no choice but to suspend telephone support for all Foscam branded products. If you have purchased a Foscam camera directly from us or from one of our authorized retailers, technical support is still available via email at support@foscam.us.

For customers who have not purchased from us directly, we advise you to please contact Foscam Shenzhen or the distributor which you have purchased from. In the meantime, we have launched our own new brand of IP cameras called Amcrest, which has superior quality products and full telephone technical support 7 days per week. We hope you can support us in our new venture. For more information, please visit www.Amcrest.com.

I was using the Amcrest IP2M-841EB and IP3M-943B cameras, they lasted 13 months. Wouldn’t take a firmware update and died. I was told they would be happy to replace the cameras at full retail price, minus the 10% normal discount. I’ve switched over to the Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

It looks like you didn’t even read the post. I would have supported you if you would support ecosystems other than your own. Specifically ZoneMinder and SmartThings.

You could use Blue Iris w/the Amcrest (or any camera Blue Iris supports) there is a Blue Iris SmartThings integration. Of course that’s another expense to buy Blue Iris (~$50) and you need a Win machine running Blue Iris 24/7.

1 Like

I tried Blue Iris, and I actually liked the interface much better than ZoneMinder. The problem I was having was that I was running it in a Virtual Machine and the VM kept locking up. Like withing 10 or 15 minutes whereas the Linux VM with ZoneMinder has been stable.

Arlo Pro a good bet. Have 3, not dissapointed.

I don’t think it’s fair to expect Amcrest to support an integration that isn’t officially supported.

How are you adding them and are you able to record? Currently using a DVR.

1 Like