Amazon Echo

There was an announcement that got pulled. My guess is that it’s almost time but not quite… :smile:

Just tested play, volume, pause with my Sonos, and works pretty well! only problem is ST still doesn’t update groupings correctly…

still doing to keep @zipriddy implementation for Home actions, and to tinker (great work BTW).

Thank you for stalking ST for the community! Is this part of member privilege? This, v2 hub and Sammy speakers . Wow, quite exciting time for ST.

If you have the GE 3 speed fan switch (forget model #), try the following:
“Alexa, set ceiling fan to 25” = sets fan to low
"Alexa, set ceiling fan to 50" = sets fan to med
"Alexa, set ceiling fan to 100" = sets fan to high
"Alexa, turn ceiling fan on" = turns it on to last speed

Of course you need to replace “ceiling fan” with whatever you named yours.

2 Likes

Thank you @Ben for cleaning up the community and keep them in the right category! Sorry, we get sidetrack easily.

Amazon’s own ad for Echo now states Smartthings compatibility.

1 Like

You can now control even more connected home devices with your voice using Amazon Echo. In addition to controlling lights and switches from Belkin WeMo, Philips Hue, and Wink, Echo now supports Samsung SmartThings—including the new Samsung SmartThings Hub, the SmartThings Outlet, and the Lightify Smart Connected LED. A full list of Echo compatible devices can be found here.

To get started with SmartThings, connect your devices to your home Wi-Fi and name them in their respective app. Then say, “Alexa, discover my appliances.” After Echo’s confirmation, just ask:

“Alexa, turn on the television.”
“Alexa, turn on the stereo.”
“Alexa, turn off the lamp.”
"Alexa, turn on the porch light."
Last week, we gave you an early look at a few third-party Alexa skills, including StubHub and Crystal Ball. Thanks @CariAL88 for showing us how you used Crystal Ball. This week, we have a few more skills for you to try. If you love playing games, you can try Bingo. If you’re a cat lover, you might enjoy Cat Facts.

Works great, and you can include the smart things switches in Amazon groups with non-smart things switches. It’s working fine with virtual switches. Update is the fastest of anything I’ve seen using A third-party. Really really happy with this. :sunglasses:

I’ve written a new step by step set up FAQ for this, including a few use tips:

2 Likes

I’m loving this integration so far. Granted, Alexa’s sitting on my desk at work and I’m watching her turn things on/off via the ST app on my phone, but response times are extremely fast and I don’t think she’s misunderstood me once.

Ivee who?

1 Like

Excited to have this and then realised I have very few non Hue bulbs now and few switches right now that are used with ST.

But can anyone let me know if they think using the ST implementation with Echo to control Hue is better than the existing hue/echo one?

Which ad? Can I get a link?

Wondering if somebody in this community has a wife/daughter/girlfriend/pet named Alexa? :wink: It will be so awkward to use the wake up word “Amazon”.

3 Likes
2 Likes

There is an Echo SmartApp under Convenience that works just like IFTT for changes what switches are available to the Echo.

2 Likes

The Echo seamlessly mixes the platforms, so… I recommend not including your Hue Bulbs in the set you authorize from SmartThings.

Definitely avoid overlap.

Let Echo control the Hue bulbs directly through Hue Bridge and everything else through SmartThings.

Well…
There’s a chance it’s better to let Echo do everything through SmartThings instead. Maybe Hue Bulb status in ST will show up more timely / accurate for example. Gotta try it both ways.

The timing of this post was perfect. I just updated my Amazon Echo App on my HTC One and it is now called the “Amazon Alexa” app. Support told me they were planning on allowing more wake words but now I wonder if they will. My Wife really can’t say Alexa correctly, she keeps saying Alexia and it doesn’t work. Amazon as the wake word is terrible I say amazon way too often for that to work.

I really was hoping customized wake word was coming or at least a few more in the available set. I wonder if that will still happen.

2 Likes

Scroll down the ad, to Connected Home. Smartthings is also mentioned there, along with a Smartthings graphic.

Just linked my Echo to ST, seamless. Gave me some renewed interest to get some of my other smart devices installed. Amazon is knocking it out of the park with Echo. Not a week goes by they don’t announce something new.

2 Likes

I’ve connected the smartthings device link but when I try to discover devices I get an error? Anyone run into this issue or am I doing it wrong?