SmartThings Community

Alexa Trigger Phrase and Alexa Routines (new Alexa feature)

Is not live yet, they took it down, or at least I don’t see it in my app anymore. When I tried it, it didn’t really work but I liked the concept of firing Alexa phrases with a routine. I think that would be very powerful.

You can use virtual switches and an app of your choice to link them to routines. There is an app in Marketplace. I prefer this one:

1 Like

Cool. Thanks. Will check it out.

One last thing I did want to note, is that you can lock and unlock doors directly with Alexa, by using a trigger phrase, and connecting it to the ST channel on iFTTT. The channel does have lock, unlock commands.

That was one thing people seemed to really want, because Alexa wouldn’t allow direct locking and unlocking.

1 Like

We may be discussing two different things. Are you talking about the new Alexa functionality? Or something specific to ST?

New Echo app routine feature. I played with it the other day, it wasn’t really working and when I checked back last night, setting routine option was gone…

Alexa triggers has been discussed in the Alexa FAQ:

And here’s how to use Echo to run a SmartThings routine, whether you’re using the trigger method or the connected home method:

And triggers have also been discussed at length in my Ifttt project topic:

Quite a few community members have been using them since they were introduced last month. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The new Alexa functionality that I am talking about is creating routines directly in Echo app. They will be called ‘Routines’ just like in ST universe. @JDRoberts may be making good use of them…

1 Like

Right, there are now SmartThings routines and Alexa routines. (Alexa routines are not yet in official release, so you May not have them yet. They just showed up for me one day, no announcement.)

To Have echo execute a SmartThings routine, see the FAQ I linked to above.

To set up an echo routine, you use the echo app.

Basically lets you create a list of several different Alexa commands and then have Alexa do them all with one voice command.

To include a smartthings routine in an echo routine, you would just flip the virtual switch associated with that SmartThings routine in the connected home part of the echo routine.

I’m still working out how I’ll use them, but I’m sure I will. :wink:

3 Likes

@JDRoberts, how did you get that to show up? This is what I see:

I don’t know, it just showed up last week. I haven’t seen an announcement on it yet.

Ok, bummer. I need to be patient I guess…

People on Reddit report seeing it come and go the last few days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/comments/3vhv23/routines/?

1 Like

I was able to play with that feature this weekend, but it’s no longer available for me either. I contacted support and they responded within 15 min after I emailed them saying that I need to call in so they can troubleshoot.

Oh that is new. Haven’t seen those yet.

Hopefully it will be back soon. Maybe with new wake words.

I just looked and the feature is there for me.

Just another way to run scenes with the system. Keeps getting better!

1 Like

Still waiting for the ability to make Echo say a custom phrase… that’ll be the killer app part for me.

3 Likes

I still don’t see this feature… Is my only option to just use a custom switch?

Alexa, turn on my ________ routine. That’s what you need to say. The Alexa SmartApp has to have the routines turned on for this to work, and then run discovery. I had turned this feature on, but I was not getting the verb right, I guess.

You can get away with even saying less, you can just say: “Alexa, turn on [routine name]”

2 Likes

With Alexa on my Echo, it works as you stated, but with Alexa on FireTV, I have to add “routine” or she reports she cannot find the device.