Aeon Labs Aeotec Multifunction Doorbell

It actually shows present when someone pushes the doorbell for me, I use this as opposed to a button notification because presence won’t go away immediately if someone pushes the button twice. This prevents duplicate notifications on the TV for me lol :slight_smile:

I’m surprised you’re not getting a lot of false positives because if the device is given power, polled, the refresh tile is pressed, or the doorbell button is pressed, it will raise a “present” event.

The only time it will ever change to “not present” is if it sends a command to the device and the device doesn’t respond.

I only saw a false positive a few times but not too much. I usually keep some movie playing in the background while I work. To be honest I can always switch to using the button for notification, I just personally like how it says “Doorbell present” instead of “doorbell bushed”.

You know its funny you mention this because the other night we had a “phantom” doorbell ring at 2am and I checked the logs and it said the button was pushed but I can tell that was not the case as the porch lights didn’t go on and they turn on by motion (not ST lol, old school one).

The DH can’t determine the difference between the device ringing because it was given power or the button was pressed so the logs will say it was pushed either way.

The device turning on in the middle of the night is a common problem and the DH can’t tell if the device was powered on or the button was pushed so the logs will display that the button was pushed either way.

When the device is given power, it automatically plays the first track so if you replace track 1 with a couple seconds of silence, you shouldn’t experience any more phantom rings.

1 Like

First, thanks for putting this together - working great so far!

I’m trying to use the SHM Notify Speaker functionality but I continue to get an “unexpected error” when I try to specify a track number when creating the SmartApp. Am I missing something? Is it just the track number as an integer of do I need to use the filename?

No, it’s not you. I just tested it and it gave me the same error, but then I searched the forum and found that the custom message feature in SHM and Speaker Notify with Sound stopped working last week.

If you want to stick with SHM and/or Speaker Notify with Sound, set the Alarm Track in the Device Settings and use it like an alarm or a switch. Turning the switch or alarm on will play the track specified in the settings.

The other option is to use a community developed SmartApp like either Rule Machine or CoRE. The developer pulled Rule Machine so unless you already had it installed, you will have to use CoRE instead.

Breaking that feature is a pretty big deal so it probably won’t take SmartThings too long to fix it.

It looks like SmartThings fixed the problem so you should now be able to use the custom message field in SHM to play a track by number.

Just a follow up - all good on this end. Thanks for pulling this together! This chime is now one of my favorite ST elements. Lots of uses with the addition of various MP3 files.

1 Like

I just received my doorbell this weekend. The device handler provided by @krlaframboise is working great. Thank you.

I am fairly new to ST, and was hoping there was a way to enable an SMS notification to my device when my presence is detected. Any pointers of what I need to invoke?

Thank you

You should be able to setup a “Custom” monitor in Smart Home Monitor to do that.

I just got the Aeon doorbell yesterday. Having issue with the alarm button showing on in the app. I click it, goes to off, but within a couple minutes it shows on again…thoughts

Are you still having this problem?

No…I switched things around. Started using RM for the front door notification and that solved the issue.

Oops, yes I am…right now in my “things” it shows playing…for the last 10 minutes at least. I just went and opened the front door, and the “recently” showed it played track 2… but nothing…it just show playing…I click it…goes to off…but a minute or two later it shows playing…

It sounds like the device isn’t responding to the command. Are you sure that it’s paired securely? Has it ever worked?

Only had two days. As far as working…think oh good got it…then a couple hours later I have these hiccups. It paired with no issues. How can I tell if it paired securely? Also the green online button, what is that telling me? It randomly goes off and on… thanks

It would normally say something in the logs if it wasn’t paired securely, but if that was the case, it never would have worked.

I have 2 DTH for this product, but this one has extra features that you probably don’t need so you might be better off using the Aeotec Doorbell DTH instead.

Why am I getting Present, not present, present, not present?
Thanks

2016-06-24 9:34:16.494 AM CDT
42 minutes ago APP_COMMAND beep
2016-06-24 9:34:15.285 AM CDT
2016-06-24 9:34:13.883 AM CDT
2016-06-24 9:34:13.152 AM CDT
42 minutes ago DEVICE status beep Beeping!
2016-06-24 9:34:12.628 AM CDT
2016-06-24 8:45:42.626 AM CDT
2 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-24 8:39:35.038 AM CDT
2 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-24 7:15:50.128 AM CDT
3 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-24 7:11:45.040 AM CDT
3 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-24 4:05:18.322 AM CDT
6 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-24 4:04:35.030 AM CDT
6 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-24 3:02:03.836 AM CDT
7 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-24 3:00:47.048 AM CDT
7 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-24 2:22:41.119 AM CDT
8 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-24 2:21:58.048 AM CDT
8 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-24 1:20:49.274 AM CDT
9 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-24 1:19:46.039 AM CDT
9 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-23 10:23:35.315 PM CDT
12 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-23 10:22:37.057 PM CDT
12 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-23 8:58:14.382 PM CDT
13 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is present
2016-06-23 8:55:45.062 PM CDT
13 hours ago DEVICE presence not present Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell presence is not present
2016-06-23 5:49:45.009 PM CDT
16 hours ago DEVICE presence present Aeon Labs Multifunction

If the DTH sends a command to the device and the device doesn’t respond, it will change the presence to “not present”.

My other DTH doesn’t support the presence sensor capability so you’re probably better off using that one instead of this one.

If you decide to switch to a different DTH, make sure you go into the settings screen and save before you try using the device.

Can anyone speak to the shitty reviews this doorbell has been receiving on amazon? See https://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-ZW056-z-wave-doorbell/dp/B0182XG27Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466815950&sr=8-1&keywords=aeotec+doorbell#customerReviews

There seems to be a lot of people complaining about range and volume being really low. What has been the experience of people on this thread?

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.