A spot for recommendations?

(Chrisb) #1

Is there a plan for a thread where people could make recommendations on what they’d like to see created?

What would be great is to have a place were people could submit idea of things they would like to see created.  Then SmartThings could “post” these in an area and people could vote Yeah or Nay on whether this would be something they could be interested in buying/getting.  This would be a great way for SmartThings and Makers to get an idea before any developing work even begins which ‘Things’ might be successful and which most people just would be interested in.

Here are my two suggestions:

1. SmartButton - a object about the size of the presence FOB, perhaps even having all the same functionality of the presence FOB, but also has a button on it.  The button, when pressed, would active a pre-programed function or set of functions in the cloud.  As simple as turning on a light to as complex as Lock the doors, turn off the lights, drop the thermostat to x-degrees, and send me a text alert if any of my open/closed sensors are open.

2. Garage Door button pusher - Okay, stupid name.  But I want something that I can wire in parallel with my manual garage door buttons in the garage that open and close the garage doors.  The device isn’t sending a wireless signal to the garage door opener, rather it just momentarily closes the hardwired circuit that already exists in my garage.  I think this would be a lot cheaper/easier than designing something that would be able to send a wireless signal and need to be able to operate with many, many different garage door opener brands.

(Andrew) #2

Chris - I’ll let some of the other team members communicate how we want to see ideas like this shared, but this is exactly what we expect the community to help drive.  Not only development that we at SmartThings undertake, but also development and projects the community rallies to support.  Part of the future of the community will be to provide the tools for groups of developers and makers to come together to produce what you’re describing.

On the SmartButton - that’s definitely on our immediate / near term roadmap.  We love the idea of a SmartButton and SmartSwitch like this.  Tons of uses when combined with SmartApps.

We’d also love to see a simple valve that could be attached to the water lines for your washing machine.  Combined with a flood detector and simple SmartApp, you’ve got all the tools to prevent, vs. just notify, when a flood begins.  Having flooded my home once in this manner, I’m a big believer.

(Eric Schuld) #3
"2. Garage Door button pusher – Okay, stupid name.  But I want something that I can wire in parallel with my manual garage door buttons in the garage that open and close the garage doors.  The device isn’t sending a wireless signal to the garage door opener, rather it just momentarily closes the hardwired circuit that already exists in my garage.  I think this would be a lot cheaper/easier than designing something that would be able to send a wireless signal and need to be able to operate with many, many different garage door opener brands."

Agree with you completely on this one. I would love to have the open/closed sensor on my garage door and as I drive away (with my presence sensor on me) and have it alert me that the garage door is open - and either close it on its own or prompt me with something snarky like - “It appears you have left your home - would you like to close the garage door you left open?.. idiot.”

(Ben Edwards) #4

Check out the (new) Connected Things forum. We can start additional topics for some of these groups as well.