SmartThings Community

A simple way to get alerts when your doorbell is rung

That’s cool. I’ve been wanting to do something similar with a MimoLite. Seeing your pics got me off my (you know what) to try it. It Worked! I just wired the two leads to be power to the MimoLite. And since the mimo can be configured to send notification on power off, it trips a millisecond after the bell riings and power is lost again. What’s nice is it won’t take batteries. Here’s a pic. I have the same bell as @Johnny_Davy and it looks like the plastic box on one side can be cut out to accept the mimo.

I’ll post more as I tinker

5 Likes

Send me a PM. Lets get some cool new stuff to the community!

2 Likes

Awesome, @wackware! I’m glad I could inspire you. I’ll have to take a look and see if I can take that plastic piece off so I can fit in the sensor.

@ziemba_jason, I originally tried that too, but I couldn’t get enough vibration to trigger the Multi. I may have been doing something wrong though. Glad it worked for you.

@wackware I’ve got a MIMOlite I’ve been planning to hook up for doorbell notifications. Your setup looks a lot simpler than what I’ve been envisioning. I’d been planning on using a relay or transistor board to interface with the input on the MIMOlite while keeping it powered. I’d love to know how you configured yours.

I’d tried using a multi inside the bell case to detect vibration, but the bell is on the other side of the wall from the stairs. Every time the kids ran up or down I’d get a notification.

The mimo can send notification when it’s powered up and it will even send a notification when it looses power. So I just put it in parallel to the bell circuit at the chime. A dremmel, some hot glue and a little ST code and Wa-La. Bell notification!

2 Likes

Is this the device you are talking about (MIMOLite)? If so, is there a cheaper device I can turn into a door bell sensor? This one is pricy to kill.

You can use a door window sensor like post #1 talks about, you can get the monoprice ones for $33, the monoprice ones also have other inputs, there is a post about making an easy button using the monoprice door/window sensor. You could easily make it your doorbell instead of a easy button.

Will I still be able to wire it to the door bell power output?

@wackware Your setup is definitely simpler than what I was planning. How hard is to to configure the MIMOlite that way? I assume it will treat a power outage as a doorbell ring?

No, I actually trip it on any communication other than loss of power.

So true. Thanks for that! Basic tests working well with @gorf device type, though I think we can cut some code from there. Will test some more. Link to the device type I found Working MIMOlite Device Type with Sensor

The Notify Me app with mimo as the contact device is all you need.

Hey Johnny,

Great job, looks good, and hope it works great.

I found the following door sensor by Fibaro, which can be wired into a normal two wire door bell: http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/products/Z-Wave-Door-and-Window-Sensor-by-Fibaro.html (I am sure they make one for the US).

All you need to do is wire it in either to the door bell, replacing the existing bell, or in parallel (so the existing door bell continues to work).

Some experience I have found trying this out, was that I get the notifications of the door bell but some times was not real time enough for me to be able to answer the door or check camera’s. Did you find this as well?

Thanks

That’s really interesting! I have the same issue in that my home office is on the 3rd floor and I can’t hear the doorbell. Currently I have an old iPhone 4 sitting in the window looking out on my front porch with the Presence app running. Basically turns any old iDevice with a camera into a Dropcam with motion detection. So as soon as someone steps on my porch, my phone buzzes.

My doorbell is wireless, not sure I have anything that the door contact would see as a magnet. Definitely would like to have a doorbell notification though, very cool.

2 Likes

I stumbled on this post as I was about to post my experiments today. I had a spare SmartThings Open/Closed sensor that I tried to trigger with the magnetic coil of the bell. It seems that the SmartThings reed switch is not as sensitive as the switch that Johnny_Davy used, or my doorbell does not have as strong a magnetic field. Our doorbell looks very similar to wackware’s.

I had to remove the sensor from its housing and shove it in the small space right next to the coil to get the open/close trigger. I wanted to turn on a light when it closes, but then had to write my own SmartApp, as the existing apps all seemed to work on sensors being NC and not NO, which how the sensor behaves in the coil field. I.e. open is the inactive state, and it closes when the doorbell gets triggered. So I now have a simple SmartApp that will turn on a ligth for 30 seconds when the doorbell rings.

I am probably going to desolder the reed switch from the circuit board of the sensor and attach a wire to it. That will allow me to put the sensor back in its housing and mount the reed switch right next to the coil. That will simplify future battery changes. At the moment everything is held together with scotch tape and blue tack. And I don’t mean that figuratively:).

I saw this post and figured I would give it a try.

I used a PEQ contact sensor from BB… works great and is small. Cover fits over it with no issues.

Only issue is it is in constant “open” mode and orange, any way to set ST to have it reversed?

Green on open orange on closed?

@wackware I don’t suppose you’d let me have a copy of your device type for this, would you? :smile: Please?

Sure. You’re using the MimoLite right?

Let me clean it up a bit and document the code. Also, I need to fully implement the timer that shows the main tile in a bell rung (ding-dong) state for 20 seconds.

To work like I wanted, it needs an app that can listen (subscribe) to a button push if you want text or push notification. I customized a version of “Notify me when” to listen for a “button pushed” event. The stock one does not.

I’ll submit the custom “notify me when” to ST standard release/update, while posting both to my github this coming weekend. If you need it sooner, let me know. I’ll see what I can do.

Todd

@wackware Yep, MIMOLite. I had one waiting for my water valve project, but this was too tempting! No worries I can wait. I appreciate your willingness to help.

I needed a break from the other project that I’m working on so I thought I’d knock this out. It’s a little tricky to get it installed. Make sure to read device type file instructions. Required

Here is the device type file:
Mimolite Doorbell Device File

Here is the “Notify Me When…” App
Notify Me When… App with Button functionality

2 Likes