2018: Neutral wire free zwave plus dimmer (for incandescent or Halogen bulbs, not for LEDs or CFLs) Model 14299

(Chris) #1

Found that the GE 1000w dimmer does not require a neutral wire

Switches/dimmers that don't require neutral line
(MS) #2

From what I see, every option says that neutral IS required. Where do you see that it’s not? Screenshot:

28 AM

(Ray) #3

The model he described doesn’t require neutral. You can click on the drop menu and select the 1000w model. You can have a look here. Very nice. Finally another option out there. Only problem is "high-output incandescent can or spot lights"

(jeubanks) #4

I ran into the same neutral wire issue and I resorted to adding Lutron Caseta into the mix. However I also found the Fibaro relay doesn’t require a neutral and with the addon bypass will support LED.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/fibaro/products/fibaro-z-wave-plus-dimmer-2-fgd-212

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/fibaro/products/fibaro-bypass-2-fgb-002

(MS) #5

Why/how are we seeing two different things?? I’m specifically looking at the 1000W Amazon that OP linked to, and it clearly says Neutral Required:

And then I looked at the Jasco that you linked to and it also says Neutral is Required:

(Mark) #6

The amazon page has several versions, so you have to look at the model #s.

The model # from the link to the jasco website above is 14299. Take a look at the wiring instructions, there’s no neutral connection to that switch. It will only work with incandescent bulbs, just like older z-wave models made by GE/Jasco that did not require neutral wires.

As @marktheknife and @Navat604 mentioned, the 14299 does not require a neutral. The product descriptions are all messed up for various reasons, but here’s an official installation video from the manufacturer which calls out the fact that no neutral is required, but also that this switch will only work with halogens and incandescents, not LEDs.

Apparently Jasco decided that there was sufficient market demand for a higher load Halogen dimmer and they came out with this model. (Jasco is the manufacturer for all the GE-branded zwave devices.)

So far, Home Depot is the only retailer I have seen who has gotten the product descriptions correct for every individual model, at least as of the last time I looked at them:

It’s an interesting choice, so we’ll see how it sells. :sunglasses:

GE Z Wave Dimmer, no neutral
(CapeCodger) #8

All smart devices need a power source. This will be either 120V AC or battery. What they are doing with this neutral free switch is basically using the ground as the neutral. In the breaker panel the grounds and neutrals are connected at the same point. If you were to measure between the line side and the ground you will see 120V AC.

(DavidK) #10

Probably does NOT use ground as neutral.

I have one of an older generation GE dimmer that does not require neutral and it works by sending a small amount of current through the bulb to power itself.

That is why these do not work on LEDs, only higher current use Halogen or other type of light. The amount of current required to drive the switch itself is below the threshold current required to see that the Halogen light is actually on.

Also, someone who is an electrician or EE, please reply and mention the safety hazards of using the ground for neutral, EVEN though they may go to the same place.

The ground wire is NOT shielded and is NOT designed to normally be carrying current, which is what would happen if you re-purpose ground for neutral.