200 Device Limitation? Really? Any alternatives?

one of my Twitter followers pointed out that you can still add devices from the Devices menu option. That gets around the 200 limit error on Android 1.7.55 and above. Hopefully they remove it totally since it’s purely a UI stop.

6 Likes

GRRR Last night I noticed the “Can’t add more than 200 devices” error pop up when trying to add a couple devices I had. I am only able to add devices if I go to the Devices page and add it from there. I did get an error when trying to add a device from there too but it only happened a few times then it worked. Today it worked when I removed and added back a door sensor.

ST says I have 276 devices all inclusive (virtual, C2C, hub connected, etc).

2 Likes

Must admit I wasn’t expecting that to be literally what it said. I know it says all it needs to say but it doesn’t seem terribly polished.

What on Earth would lead you to expect something polished? :rofl:

2 Likes

This limit is absurd given the tendency to add remote control and monitoring to everything around us. The trend should be that the number of “things” the app supports increases over time. I’ve been over the 200 limit for a long time so it seems that ST has declared open season on us fat ducks (home automation gluttons like myself)…

My ideal smart home would have virtually everything controllable by voice/app/automation and there would be a standard set of sensors for every single room/area (temp, humidity, motion, door/window contact sensors being the most important). Each room would have a basic set of parameters linked to sensor outputs and actionable devices so that I can ask the system what the temp is in the living room, or the humidity in the bathroom, etc without having to say sensor names (and no I am not giving room names to devices as that is not scalable/logical for large systems). The room itself is more than just a group… I know there is at least one smartapp that did some or all of this but ST should support it natively… Now if this were possible, then I think I’d have double the devices :smiley: Either way, I will get there some day but possibly not on ST if the limit is to stay.

Edit: Let’s not forget the #&*@# 20 room (group) limit either… why??? To unclutter rooms, I often move sensors and other devices to groups (rooms) such as “Access Control” or “Remotes”. I currently have 23 rooms/groups just because I can’t add any more… but why impose such silly limits? I don’t think a GUI design excuse is reasonable especially when they believe it is ok to have me flick the main ST app screen dozens and dozens of times to get to a device somewhere on the bottom of the list… the old app was ugly but way faster to get to the desired device.

4 Likes

The more I think about this, the more it bugs me. I haven’t seen any official announcement on it, and the fact that it affects people who already had more than 200 devices is concerning.

It’s one thing to decide that “200 is probably enough for most people“ and it’s quite something else to take away an ability that a customer already had.

5 Likes

100% agree…

However, sadly, I am not surprised at all… :frowning:

Nor I ogie… Unfortunately…

@blake.arnold@JDRoberts is right, this is very concerning. Imposing limits after the fact without discussing with affected users is… Disturbing. This will probably be the one to push me off SmartThings if its not corrected… Quickly.

Ive already had to use the workaround a dozen times in the last day or so whole doing some ZWave maintenance. Its a massive pain.

2 Likes

It’s also concerning that there isn’t any documentation on the support site saying there is any kind of device limit.

1 Like

We’re aware of this and working on correcting it. I’ll be back with more info shortly.

10 Likes

oh shit! I currently have 287 and had over 300 in the past before the last hub hard reset. I just got the 200 device limit when trying to add/test a new device. if this is the way its going to go, then its time to add another hub and branch off some non-alarm things (i.e. ~25 buttons/plugs controlling AI speakers). I figured and anticipated this was coming. i smell a paid premium coming. in a way it should make things slightly easier hard resetting a hub with less devices.

/goes and digs in duffel bag of backup hubs/

okay… i cant even add a new hub under add device as the 200 device limit pops up. so, is this an account limit.

Hi @Awestun, be sure to try the workaround to get your new devices added beyond the 200 BS limit…

is that using the ios app

Hi @Awestun, on Android you should be able to go to Devices (via the hamburger menu on the left), then the “+”. I just did that myself and it works.

I don’t see the limit on iOS, do you?

ah, yes, that does work for “searching” for a device.

1 Like

no, i had read your post yesterday and when john replied to my post today i thought that was the work around

1 Like

So, its been almost 24 hours now. What say you?

okay, this does not look good and most likely will be the new limit. next update will lock out the current work arounds, ios and hamburger>device>+

Crickets chirping…

Version 1.7.56.21 (Android), and I can no longer add over 200 devices, from either the main screen or a room, so now even the initial workaround is broken…

The workaround for me still works, BUT go to Devices not Rooms.

1 Like