200 Device Limitation? Really? Any alternatives?

I just hit the limit too when I was trying to get it to backsweep an integration for a spelling change in a native app. I apparently was at exactly 200 and it wouldn’t let me “add” a device to force the integration to backsweep. I deleted one of the devices from that integration, then it allowed me to “add” a device to grab the updates and then it just replaced my deleted device.

I saw above, ST says they’re aware of the issue and are working on it. I hope this is soon because I have 17 more devices that will arrive between now and January.

I have an old iPad laying around. I’ll try to add devices there as a workaround in the meantime.

@Sergeantpup try menu > devices > + (plus) in the upper right of the screen

3 Likes

I will be darned; that worked! I must’ve missed this in the thread above (I only read about the last week or so).

Thanks.

2 Likes

Any update on when this will be fixed ?

at this point i seriously doubt it will get “fixed”.

So are we saying at some point they will cut off our devices over the 200 limit? if that’s the case its time to vote with my feet and wallet and move on.

I just hit the 200 Device limit too ! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Not only will they limit the number of devices, but they will limit the number of transactions you send to the ST platform. If you look at the new direct connect interface there is a “rate limit” notification that you can get. I have in fact already run in to it just from having a motion sensor in a busy part of the house. I suspect this design is in preparation for Samsung to start charging a monthly fee for using the platform via cloud or direct connected devices once they boot off all the groovy stuff. Maybe there will be a “free tier” that will allow a limited number of devices and transactions.

at that point you get out the extra back up hubs and segregate devices. like all the leak detectors on one hub, all the smoke alarms on another, outside sensors and lighting on another, etc.

Depends on if they place the restrictions at the account level or not. The hub-connected stuff may be restricted by real hw/firmware limitations. The stuff coming in through the cloud is where the ‘artificial’ limitations might be. But I suppose that’s only practical; you have to protect the platform from rogue applications. OR, my more cynical self says it’s for usage-based charging tiers :slight_smile:

Well, I just hit the limit tonight. The devices section does let me get past this, but where is the support from SmartThings? It is almost April of 2021 and nothing from @blake.arnold . Maybe he moved on.

-S1930

I’m curious if this is still an issue with smartthings. I made the switch to hubitat because of this exact thing and the limitations with being unable to automate my entire smarthome with smartthings after the app change.

It’s an issue but the workaround still works. I’m at 280 devices and can still add new devices.

Last hub/application update stop workaround option…

2 Likes

It’s the latest app update, which I have not update to yet, and likely will not until I can verify that my older Android devices that can’t update to the new app are able to still use the workaround.

2 Likes

Just taking a quick look at competitors, it looks like 200 is a pretty common limit in the industry, but the difference is that most of the competitors allow you to have more than one controller/hub on an account, so you just add more if you need more devices.

For example, control 4 has several different controllers going up to a maximum of 200 each, but at least back in 2017 a typical “whole house install“ had 4 to 6 controllers.

Lutron’s high end system Homework’s, limits you to 100 devices per controller, but you can have 32 controllers on an account. Also, there’s a separate limit of up to 10,000 endpoints, which they called “zones.”

HomeKit limits you to 150 Devices per Bridge, but doesn’t limit the number of bridges, and allows a total number of 1000 devices per account. (Some people hit a limit earlier than that because all the device names get written to a single iCloud record and there’s a maximum memory size on that, but the workaround is to give the devices shorter names.)

The original Vera used the zwave hard limit of 232 devices per hub, but again it was easy to add additional hubs to the account.

Zigbee coordinators don’t tend to have a hard limit, but will run out of memory to process everything, and that is typically around 200 devices although it varies.

Insteon allows for around 1,000 “links,” which seem to include both scenes and endpoints, with a hard limit of 100 devices. They say that the average American home has 80 switches and outlets in it. Note that the issue here is sensors, it’s really easy to add dozens of sensors to a smart home Once you go for full automation. These days it looks like people get around the 100 device per hub limitation by either using HomeKit or ISY with multiple Insteon controllers.

I should add that they are also quite a few low cost security-only systems which have a limit of around 150 devices, but then they are not doing lights. It’s when you allow for both lighting control and sensors, as SmartThings does, that your power users will start to go above 200 devices.

I would also add that smartthings bring some of this on themselves with their parent/child Architecture. Most other systems don’t list these as different devices: they are multiple endpoints on one device. That’s where the Lutron “zones“ and the Insteon “links“ come in, and why these companies have much higher maximums than just the number of devices.

The main exception I could find with a quick look was Homeseer. Homeseer allows up to 10,000 devices. There’s a default setting in the app which is limited to displaying about 500, but that’s just for efficiency: you can change it in the parameter settings.

So my suggestion would be to do what Homeseer does: set a default lower display limit so the app will load quickly for most people but allow a parameter change for those who have bigger installations. But either make multiple hub use easy or increase the device count in order to compete effectively with both Homekit and Homeseer.

I would suggest that the current limit is based on systems which are primarily for lighting, and doesn’t take into account the issue of sensors and plug-ins, including virtual switches. Both are device categories which can pretty easily take a power user over a limit of 200 devices. Also, smart bulbs have upped the potential Device count as well.

Just an observation… :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! so I have around 300 devices across 2 hubs under the same account. now with this 200 device limit per account i will have to have more then one account. first i thought about putting all the leak sensors on their own account/hub, but isnt there a 64 zigbee hub limit without repeaters. might have to section up the house per account/hub, like 1st floor, second floor, etc.

2 Likes

It hit me tonight John. I cant add anything.

I also coincidentally have a GE ZWave Switch thats acting up. The remedy is remove and re-add.

Guess what I cant do.

My new 8G RPi, ZWave and Zigbee sticks arrive tomorrow. Its been real, its been fun (except for the last 6 months)

Time to install Hass.io

7 Likes

Yeah, this is stupid that ST did this, and i refuse to set up multiple hubs in the same home. I can accept responsibility if ST came back and said that they won’t support me if I go over 200 devices, but to force it on me and start impacting my ability to keep what I have working is unacceptable.

Unfortunately I’ll still need the ST app for our washer/dryer and several ST cameras, but everything else may have to move if/when an old phone and app combo stop working as a workaround as well. I guess it’s time for me to look at Hubitat and Hass.io

5 Likes

At 294 devices I am also hosed.

Nice work SmartThings.

1 Like