12V Treo Pool LEDs control via SmartThings + Z Wave?

This is just my opinion but I would go with the vision relay and control the 120VAC of the transformer. With this relay. You will be able to use the pool side Leviton switch as well.
The fibaro will work but you will have to replace the transformer with a 120VAC to a 12(24)VDC transfomer since the module works only with DC.

3 Likes

In that case @Navat604, you should take my advice and look at the video I posted of the guy automating his pool lighting with Vision relay.

2 Likes

Agreed. So I would connect the relay to the line coming in to the transformer? I could then leave the pool-side switch in the ON position (or remove the switch all together) and control the lights 100% from SmartThings?

It doesn’t look like there is a transformer involved in the installation in the video and that makes all the difference. Vision modules are meant for use with resistive loads only, they’ll fail right away or over time if any type of transformer is installed between the module and the lights so it’s not recommended to do that.

We’ll have one of our techs take a look at the images to see if there’s a good alternative to that solution.

3 Likes

Alright, we checked with someone from our team who has some actual knowledge of electrical installations and confirmed that you’re good to go as suggested by @Navat604 since this is not an electronic transformer so you can use it with Vision or any relay-based Z-Wave micro switch like the Qubino 1 Relay.

Use the 120V and neutral wires to power the Z-Wave relay, then put the transformer on the load side of the Z-Wave relay and keep the Leviton switch on at all times not to lose remote control of the lights.

If you need any detailed wiring help, feel free to reach out to our support team!

3 Likes

@TheSmartestHouse I ordered the Vision relay from you just now. Thank you!

3 Likes

I see the switch wiring coming all the way back to the transformer so Instead of doing this way. Connect the switch wiring to the Vision relay switch input so you will have full control of the lights at the switch as well without losing remote when it’s in off position.

1 Like

Assuming I don’t mind using my phone to turn on the lights 100% of the time… couldn’t I just remove the switch all together? I was going to just nut the two blue wires in the box together and close 'er up for good. Bad idea?

I wouldn’t remove the switch. How would other people turning the light off without going to the app? What if ST is not working?

3 Likes

You should leave the dumb switch in for others like the wife approval.

2 Likes

It’s not national code, but some jurisdictions do require a visible switch for anything electrical, including lights, near the pool. So you should check your local township as well.

3 Likes

I received the Vision relay today and installed it without any issues. I ran the antenna out a gap in the side of the transformer case, then looped it back in to a gap in the underside. I’m hoping that keeps as much of the weather off of it as possible. The antenna is not in direct sunlight and should not get wet where it is, so that should help.

I kept the switch installed… just in case. :slight_smile:

Thanks, everyone, for helping me sort this one out!

2 Likes

The Ecolink Wireless Light Switch Retrofit (TLS-ZWAVE5) works perfectly to turn on/off my gas fireplace. Thanks !