Zipato RGBW bulb

Have anyone tried to connect a Zipato RGBW bulb to SmartThings?
http://www.zipato.com/default.aspx?id=24&pid=81&page=1&grupe=

I have one and it connects fine, but I can’t turn it on. There is a dim-slider, but also no way to change colors. My guess is that the feature isn’t added to ST yet.
Should be possible though?

1 Like

Oh… this is really interesting. This is the first I’ve seen of a Z-wave bulb like this! @Ben, @urman, any chance you can take a look at this and possibly get it typed? I’ve got some Lifx bulbs in my house that I’ve been disappointed in because Lifx seems to be relatively slow in software development. (The hardware is very good with Lifx, just lagging on the software side). But if this is Z-wave native… that’s pretty cool!

Hmm… looks like it’s a European product, so might just run on European Z-wave frequency. There is a US dealer (http://www.homecontrols.com/manufacturers_list/Zipato), but I don’t see that they sell the RGBW bulbs there.

Does the frequency matter?
Isn’t the EU and US ST hub basically the same? If so, I guess it should “work”.
I bought it in Sweden and as I wrote, it does connect. =)

No… the EU and US use different frequencies for Z-wave and so EU hubs should use EU Z-wave frequencies.

Frequency band: The Z-Wave Radio uses the 868.42 MHz SRD Band (Europe); the 900 MHz ISM band: 908.42 MHz (United States); 916 MHz (Israel); 919.82 MHz (Hong Kong); 921.42 MHz (Australian/New Zealand).
(Z-Wave - Wikipedia)

I sent a message to Zipato and asked if they had US bulbs. They do have a US distributor for their products, so it seems at least possible, but that distributor didn’t have the bulbs listed on their website.

Oh, that’s really good to know.

From what I’ve read they introduced the bulb at CEBIT this year. I can’t see a reason why they shouldn’t bring it to the US. Probably just takes a while.

It seems to be a solid product. Quite expensive, but if it works it will be worth it!

Well, comparing them to a few other options, the Zipato is about $80 based on 59Euros, lumens is listed at 400.

Lifx: Retail is $99, Lumens is 1000, so the Lifx is quite a bit brighter but also more expensive. And also NOT currently compatible with SmartThings. Lots of extensive external work and make them partially controllable, but this requires third party code and hardware.

Hue: Single bulbs look to be around $80-100 plus you need a Hub. Lumens are around 600, so against, brighter (but not nearly as big a difference as the Lifx), but more expensive. Fully compatible with SmartThings (I think).

So it the price isn’t really that bad for a wireless RGB LED, though it is on the dim side. This wouldn’t be a problem at all for me honestly, in my current usage areas where I have Lifx bulbs. If anything I think the Lifx are too bright for how I want to use them. But is someone is looking to replace room lighting they should be aware that these do seem like they might be on the dim side.

Yeah, that is true. It just feels expensive for a bulb I guess.
400 lumen is quite perfect for me. When I can, I usually dim down most lights anyway.

I really hope they find a way to make the Zipato work without extra hardware!

There is also:

But I’m not holding my breath. Seems like they have said Coming soon! forever now.

Forgot to post this earlier, but here’s the reply I got from Zipato:

Unfortunately our bulbs still don’t have the FCC, but we are waiting for it. They will be available on Amazon as soon as we have the FCC. And sure, we will use only the US frequency as well as with all other products which we are selling in US.

This was back on June 3rd. I just did an amazon search, and while it shows up as an item, it’s only available for pre-order, there’s no expected date listed there either.

This would be pretty nice… native z-wave RGBW LED bulb. I’d hope SmartThings can make it work.

1 Like

Amazon says in stock on October 26th now. Still $80 though.

I have one. It pairs with smartthings but no color control… Anyone have any idea how to make it work?

No one has had luck on this yet:

There’s still a few quirks, and the interface isn’t great, but I do have some code working that can control the color of this bulb!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9398450/zipatoRGBW.txt

1 Like

Awesome work!
I will definitely give it a try tonight!

@drandyhaas Is that the complete code for the smartapp, or do I need to add something? I get a bunch of nasty errors. :smile:

I edited my post to point to a txt file instead…
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9398450/zipatoRGBW.txt
There may some weird formatting issues if you cut/paste into the forum here.
Yes, that’s my full code at the moment. Just add as new device at:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

1 Like

@drandyhaas

This seems to work with the Fibaro RGBW controller. It is a little awkward with two slider controls of each of the channels? Is this how Hue works?

Can you explain how you use it?

Yeah, sorry.
The button lets you control which “color” - cold white, warm white, red, green, blue - is being controlled by the top slider. The top slider will then adjust that color from 0 to 255, so you can set each color level individually.
The bottom slider controls “brightness” - the value of the basicSet or switchMultilevelSet.
It’s not a great interface, and all the kinks are certainly not worked out.
Cheers, Andy.

@drandyhaas

Thanks, makes sense. Fibaro has four channels so I’ll have to figure out what happens with the extra channel. It also has several other features such as power consumption measuring, four analog inputs and many different modes. It is an amazing device in such a small package.

Didn’t mean to sound like an ingrate. I really appreciate your effort.

The Hue interface makes it easier to choose a color:

Of course it would need two more sliders for the Zipato white LEDs (one additional for Fibaro).

I’ll see if I can take your hard work and put it into the Hue interface.