Myo by Thalmic Labs

Hey man. Awesome product. I have been eying Myo for at least a year now. I hope to be ordering one soon. Myo, while awesome, still falls into that category of purchases that I have to explain to my wife. She sees toy, I see unlimited potential. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DqV1xdf-Y)

While I have your attention I’d like to ask a question. I am very interested in automatic presence detection. I’d like to be able to walk into a room and have things happen (lights turn on, etc). And conversely when I leave the room. There is a smart plug made by Zuli which enables presence detection. When you have several of these around your house they create a mesh network. When you enter a room, the mobile app will recognize what room your are now in. The more Zuli smart plugs, the more accurate the presence detection. I think this is very cool. However, it suffers a major flaw. You have to have your phone on your while you move about the house. The majority of people do not keep their phone with them while they are in the house. They are usually on the charger, desk or counter. And without presence detection the magic of Zuli is lost.

Here’s where I think there is opportunity. Why not enable a BLE wearable, such as Myo, to be able to pair with Zuli’s BLE mesh network? Use Myo to detect your presence instead of a cell phone. At first I was thinking an activity tracker such as the Fitbit, but why not Myo. Myo is way more powerful than an activity wrist band.

Any thoughts on this? Perhaps you have your own way to use Myo to detect presence on a room by room basis?

Thanks. And keep up the amazing work. As a software engineer I truly think you guys are creating a great product and once I convince the wife to let me pull the trigger, I look forward to getting my hands (or should I say arm) on one of these bad boys.