Zwave for gas fireplace

for safety sake make sure to leave the default switch installed in SERIES with the zwave dry contact relay.

This allows the original switch to still turn off the system for cleaning and to ensure it does not come on when you dont want it too.

ESPECIALLY SHOULD BE USED IF ANY AUTOMATION RULES ARE SET!!!

That’s an interesting statement. Does this relay switch have a history of random events of turning itself on?!
I bought the Remotec Dry Contact Relay switch:

no there is no issue that i know of. I bought the same one.

Imagine this, you or a repair person is working on the fireplace, but forget you have an automation set to turn on the fireplace when the room temp drops to a certain level.

You dont want it coming on while you or someone else is cleaning/fixing the fireplace.
Fireplaces are not maintenance free, after a couple years the automatons are so common you forget they run.

And in most municipalities, it is LAW that the fireplace cannot be automated, and must be manually controlled.

Wiring the relay and switch in SERIES makes the fireplace manually controlled with an automated function while the manual switch is in the ON position only.
I AM NOT A LAWYER, NOR A FIRE/GAS TECH. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS FACTUALLY LEGAL.

So I am glad to say I got the Remotec working as a wall switch and connected to my hub. I also got it connected to my Logitech Harmony Hub remote and can now turn on my fireplace while watching TV. :fist_right::fist_left:

And for safety, I would never automate a fireplace to heat my place up. I know some people do and may need to, but not needed for me.

The 120V surge fried my thermocoupler and thermopile, plus installation fee… an expensive lesson :persevere:

Anyway now, I notice that every now and then I see the switch’s blue LED blink a few times and then stop. It does not stay on, it just blinks and then goes dark after those few blinks. It also appears to be working fine 3 days into installation. I checked the manual section, “LED Indication Status”, and there is no mention of this behavior. All of the operations talk about flashing and then the light staying on. I also don’t see anything showing up in the Recently tab of the SmartThings classic app. I will check the IDE logs to see if anything, but figured I’d ask here first, if anyone had a similar experience.

I have not paid attention to the blue light as mine is installed below the fireplace out of sight.

My fireplace has been ON for the past 3 hours, and the blue light is ON right now.

1 Like

Anyone who works on the fireplace with the gas valve open and pilot light on is asking for trouble whether a smart switch or dumb switch is installed. This is a very simple problem to work around…turn off the gas valve before working on it.

sweet. Google home is my next step.

I just added the EcoLink Z-Wave Pedal switch to my milli-volt fireplace. I can use the switch manually or have voice control via GH and Alexa.

1 Like

I have a GE Smart Switch powering a plug that is attached to a dry relay. Looking at your solution, it is definitely a simpler solution that doesn’t require any fancy wiring or relays. Good stuff!

I used this:

Have it working with smartthings v3 hub also via Alexa.

I use the same relay as squash works great. But dont try to get fancy and hook up the switch on your wall to it as well, i fried one doing it that way. just use it as a relay. people always love watching us turn the fire on with our google assistant.

I don’t know if it works with google… but my echo plays a fireplace sound effect loop when the gas fireplace turns on.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.