Zigbee device (GE Light) actual status

(Bobfrankston) #1

I’ve been experimenting with the GE Zigbee light bulbs. One problem is that I can change the state of the light by other means (such as toggling the power). How can I query the real state of the light not just the state that ST imagines?

(Paul) #2

I can’t get this to work either. I tried installing the Pollster smartapp thinking that would help, but my things do not show up in Pollster.

Edit: Ah… pollster is only for z-wave things, and GE Link uses zigbee.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Bobfrankston) #3

I’m trying to figure out GE Zigbee bulbs myself.

If I use the Smartthings app I can set the levels and on/off but the only event signaled is switch, not switchLevel. And I just get the on/off indicator. Interestly if I set the level to zero in the ST app it reports the switch as off in the event but shows it as on on the screen.

If I set the level with my own app using setLevel (after a .on()) the ST app doesn’t seem to show the changes (but I think it did at one point but then stopped tracking).

It seems as if the bulb support is only partially implemented. Who owns such problems and what are the prospects for fixing them? From previous experience it seems as if the level value is not handled very well in general.

BTW, though I can set the level from 0 to 99, it appears that the actual range is 0 and 95-99 – it’s hard to tell that the bulb is actually dimmed.

@NorCalLights and @bobfrankston , Pollster will work with any device as long as Polling is included in the device type’s capabilities: capability "Polling", and Poll() actually does something. Have you seen the thread on an improved custom device type for these GE bulbs?

In the case of these bulbs, Poll() in this custom device type looks like this:

def poll() {

[
"st rattr 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} 1 6 0", "delay 500",
"st rattr 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} 1 8 0", "delay 500",
"st wattr 0x${device.deviceNetworkId} 1 8 0x10 0x21 {${state.dOnOff}}"
]

}

(Bobfrankston) #5

This is my question about owning the issue. As I wrote in http://rmf.vc/IEEEPuttingTogether I worry about this kind of knowledge scattered around in code snippets. Especially when these snippets violate the fundamental rule of programming which is to have no constants other then 0 and, once in a while, 1, in code