Z-wave scores huge UL win for security!

I grant you that the SmartThings “Branded” items are all zigbee for now. But I just checked the SmartThings Store and found that it sells several Z-Wave items (Non Branded), like the GE Outdoor Light Plug-and-Control Power Outlet, First Alert Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, GE In-Wall Outlet (Duplex Receptacle), etc… I’m guessing that the typical SmartThings user will not decide on their next home automation purchase based on the protocol, but will purchase based on their functionality requirements.

I not sure how the “try again zigbee protocol” with a shorter distance than Z-Wave will compare to a stronger Z-Wave signal when it comes to the complexities of both on signal fidelity through typical household problem areas or competing frequency devices. I guess that will be the ongoing debate between having both protocols in some devices, like the Iris power outlet and many HA hubs.

In my residential environment, I have tried the Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Smart Switch 6, Gen5 unit and quickly returned it when it did not connect over a typical distance that my other classic Z-Wave nodes had. I know that this should not be the case, but ACTUAL testing in residential house proved the disappointing results. Other users of this similar 5th gen unit also reported similar range issues in Gen5 (Z-Wave Plus) Range Issues

In my situation, I was able to pair the 5th generation “beaming repeater” device in “security mode” when I placed it close to the ST hub, but when it was moved to the final location not more than 30’ from the hub (walls, hallways, etc) and 20’ from the Z-Wave lock (a wall and a metal door), it would not assist the Z-Wave lock in our garage obtain a working signal. This is still an ongoing issue with trying to get a workable signal to our garage which is the furthest distance from the hub on the same floor.

My point in this thread, is that the Z-Wave UL certification for Z-Wave enabled alarm systems {and not fire detection}, will not alleviate the problematic issues that users may encounter when trying to deploy Z-Wave enabled devices some distance from their Z-Wave mesh network in typical houses and remote areas like a garage or third story. I have a “wired” alarm system that reports to SmartThings REST and distance is not an issue nor false alarms based on signal fidelity or strength.