Z-Wave Doorbell from a Wireless Doorbell + Door/Window Sensor

Were you able to get battery status with the Mimo lite door device? I set mine up but it’s not reporting battery properly.

Okay, I didn’t even pay attention to the battery… but now that you pointed it out, it was annoying me! This is how I think that I fixed it. (It says 100%, so I don’t know if it’s reporting correctly or not… but maybe it is?) I got changes by looking at the “Door/Window Sensor” device type.

In the MIMLight Device Type…

Add

capability "Battery"

at the top where it has a list of capabilities.

Then, do a search and replace over the entire thing: wherever you see “voltage”, change it to “battery” instead.

Finally, where it (now) says:

valueTile("battery", "device.battery") {
			state("battery", label:'${currentValue}v', unit:"ADC")
}

Change that v to a %:

valueTile("battery", "device.battery") {
			state("battery", label:'${currentValue}%', unit:"ADC")
}

Then Save and Publish to “Me”. You’ll also have to change your device’s device type to “Self-Published”. This is probably a messy way to fix it, but it seems to work.

The battery polling is working! Thx

This worked great! Install went pretty smooth, just be careful when you take apart the housing of the doorbell as the jumpers need to be removed first. Also, when stripping the wires, use your fingernails as the wires are very delicate and a wire stripper will most likely cut the wire. This doorbell model is probably discontinued as I had to find it on eBay. This is a much cheaper option to have a smart doorbell and for people who don’t have the 24v wired doorbells in place. I have security cameras on my front door anyway.

Here is the video (later on I configured the Notify Me app to push notifications). Thank you @denhall !!

It seems crazy that there is not an off the shelf z-wave or zigbee doorbell out there. I was looking for one the other day. It doesn’t need video or to be as fancy as Skybell. Just a button that is weather resistant. @April are there any SmartThings partners (or Samsung) that might benefit from knowing about this void in the marketplace? Maybe something to pass along.

2GIG has just Released one for their new gocontrol line which may work, it’s hard to tell yet. See the following:

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one and I’ll report back when I receive it. Maybe it will just work? Or maybe this is a chance to get into writing a custom device type. We will see! :grinning:

From what I read the doorbell button is not Zwave, but enables the control unit to use zwave devices and trigger actions from it.

I used the same thing you guys are using…it is awesome.

Thanks for all the help.

my Window/door sensor remains open though. then when the door bell is rung, it closes for a second, opens again and then i have notification on my phone.

Shouldn’t be closed and open up when the door bell is rung ? is that something i can modify on the sensor without placing the magnet or is that something in the smartapp am using ?

Please help me with your input.

Thanks.

This was the best hack yet…unfortunately I used a different door bell and woke up at 3am to “someone is at your gate” with alerts every five minutes in the activity screen. I’m planning to install it on my perimeter gate in which i already have 2 door sensors on both openings. I have the same sensor and the status shows open until pressed then it shows closed at which my smartapp alerts with my message on the close event, One workaround that I’m going to try is since i dont care about the actual door bell i’m going to buy This Button or something similar and mount that to one side of the gate and mount my sensor to the other side in something secure which will work perfectly in my setup. Hope this helps someone else as it did for me.

Thx for posting. Got this up and running today. Works great. Got the GE door bell for $10 and an the EcoLink for $20 on eBay. Now just waiting on my outdoor foscam.

Hi,

Great idea! I was hoping to do the same, I bought the following doorbell http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KL6TTTQ/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1
but the 4 tiny leds are soldered directly onto the circuit board. Reckon there’s a way around this? or can anyone recommend a suitable doorbell set (UK/Ireland) that has an old school led?

Thanks

Did you get it working with that bell? I was thinking of trying with a similar model

@GeekyBiker

SkyBell HD is now compatible on IFTTT, which allows you to cross over and connect with SmartThings.

Also, SkyBell HD is the only doorbell on IFTTT that can do BOTH Triggers AND Actions. You can get triggers from the button or motion sensor, AND, tell SkyBell to start recording video, change the LED light or turn Silent Mode on! We also have full color night vision and up to 1080p video!

The SkyBell HD is also back in stock at www.skybell.com.

Learn more about IFTTT Channel: http://goo.gl/cYVclE

Ring doorbell it is now compatible with IFTTT, I linked it to my Hue lights and work perfect

I know this is a little late…

I just tied together the 1byone Easy Chime with one of the Monoprice open/close sensors.I looked for someplace on the plugged in station to drop a connection, but didn’t find any thing. I ended up wiring the open/close into the button at the onboard LED. Just needed to correctly orient the connection, and the open/ close sensor sees it as “closed” until the LED blinks.

Anyone have any suggestions for the following:

I completed the project above using a one2one doorbell and an Orvibo contact sensor wired across the LED.

Under normal circumstances the contact is closed and when the door bell is pushed the contact opens. Here’s the problem. The LED flashes and the contact opens and closes and then opens and closes again.

This generates two notifications. I’ve got the setting enabled of 1 min between notifications but I still get two push notifications???

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

I don’t know why or what to suggest Paul, I’m quite new to ST…but I set up a ‘notify me when’ on one of my orvibo sensors this morning. The first time it triggered I received 2 notifications and noticed one has what I assume is my ‘home’ badge and the other doesn’t, maybe that has something to do with it?

After that it seems to send just one (up to now) I’m not using it connected to a doorbell though.

I’m tempted to try this, how easy is it to wire up? I have limited experience in soldering automotive electrics, fixed the odd dry joint here and there but that’s about it.

Setup was easy. I think the double notification is an effect of the doorbell flashing the LED (even though hat smart app is set to only notify once per minute. If you open the Orvibo contact sensor up on either side of the device you’ll see two black objects. These are the sensors, you just need to solder a wires to either side of the sensor and then connect this wires to the legs of the led within the door bell. You can test the wires are working before you connect the LED by connecting them to form the circuit, the sensor should change status within ST. It’s pretty simple really. Unfortunately the double notification is a pain and raises questions from the Mrs.

Nice the door bell was a tenner it might be worth trying another that lights the LED instead of flashing it.

Good luck!

Thanks it doesn’t look too difficult to do :unsure:

I was playing around with CoRE earlier and i’m pretty sure you could effectively get it down to just the 1 notification using that, or another possibility would be android/tasker/sharptools…but the non flashing led would be the easiest solution for sure!

1 Like