[WITHDRAWN] Community Admiration

This is fantastic, I really enjoyed it

:slight_smile:
Rick

1 Like

But that may corrode the filters of those who have them and before you know it the exodus happens and my lazy arse is left packing for the journey of finding new water supplyā€¦

1 Like

Now I am starting to understand the calculated moves that are playing out before me.

I thought the farmer made the peasants able to accomplish something for which they lacked the skill or initiative. And with their new found ability, they saw the farmer as more than they ever would be in life and bestowed upon him a god like title or image. After which the story grew and lives on in words written by a mere human peasant. They worship the god farmer to this day. AKA false gods.

I never liked fables. I always saw between the lines, much like my response.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have to admit, I wrote it after a particularly great morning trail run and I may have been just a tad bit oxygen deprived.

3 Likes

I absolutely, 100% had NEST tech support on the line as I tried to make my Nest Thermostat work. He had me swap wires around until I heard a POP sound from above me in the attic.

ā€œUh, it looks like your system isnā€™t compatible. Iā€™ll issue an RMA.ā€

Didnā€™t cover the $900 to replace the Carrier Infinity control board.

Luckily it was only 50Ā° out, not 20Ā°. We didnā€™t freeze.

2 Likes

Was it the Nest, or the person having you switch wires around?

I know there is a list of incompatible heating and cooling systems.

And it wonā€™t work with proprietary systems

Sorry that you did run into this problem. But I think yours is the exception, not the rule. Thatā€™s the point I was trying to make: there arenā€™t widespread failures.

At the time, their compatibility guide was ā€œwhat do your wires look like.ā€

Mine looked like what they wanted.

The Nest didnā€™t blow my board until the tech support guy told me to swap wires around essentially randomly. Whatā€™s the difference? Itā€™s still Nestā€™s fault

2 Likes

It is, definitely. The tech support person was an idiot. The wires are strictly laid out. You most definitely donā€™t go swapping things around randomly.

If in doubt, the person should have had you contact an HVAC professional to sort the issue out.

Smart home doesnā€™t have to mean DIY. Especially when it comes to home wiring.

Thanks for this. I hope you are able to restore the program to active distribution if you decide the platform is reliable enough to handle it in the future. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s all we all want here, ultimately :).

3 Likes

I am not a developer of things ST (but am a programmer)ā€¦ Iā€™ve had lots of issues with basic routines and mode changes not firing after setting them up just simply using the appā€¦ I also have the Nest Thermostat and a bunch of Nest Protects. All the systems work more or less and I have been mostly happy.

I am waiting to see what happens but am nervous with both ST and Nest.

Definitely need local control and better integration and a companies response to dev/customers is critical I think - See the Revolv fiasco. If Samsung decides to drop ST or move on I want to know I can still run my stuff. With Nest I am actually less certainā€¦ I do not want to pay monthly fees for the privilege of running my devices in my own home.

(apologies - I posted this too soon so could not complete my thought!)

My sentiments exactly.

1 Like

I am not a developerā€¦ Hell, I think the best I can call myself is semi-techi! (at least my wife thinks so)

I have not read all of the post here or even the almost 5k in the RM thread but it seems like this has become pretty heated at times so I want to take a moment to send my sincere appreciation to @bravenel and all of the other developer who have made my life better through the magic of automation. Seriously, thank you all for your time, hard work, and support. I donā€™t think we do of that enough hereā€¦ sincerely thank folks. Its something about the format of a forum that dehumanizes the process. Please think about that when you make your postsā€¦ These contributors made my life betterā€¦ have they improved your?

As I wrote the above I had some other more academic thought that I could not help but add (maybe it will help with perspective). One of my degrees is in anthropology and what can I say, this community we are all a part of is fascinating. It shows so much in the way of social evolution and concept of community its amazing. Think about it for a minuteā€¦ ST started 4 years ago as a crowd funded kickstarter project. The whole concept of crowd funding is to back a concept you believe in; and yes it is a gamble. Sometime they fail and we lose, but I still think we will keep supporting things we believe in. I know I will continue to support things that sometime fail but hey thatā€™s the nature of crowdfunding. After all, as I see it crowd funding came about when people could not get funding in traditional ways, so yeah there is risk! So here we are 4 years later and so much has changed. I canā€™t help but thinking about social evolution, especially in comparison to true human societies. Follow me here cause this is going a little side ways but I will try to bring it full circle. I think of ST and the community very much like a new human society (think Egypt, the Maya, etcā€¦ the actually one is not important) but here at ST we are socially evolving at hyper-speed. ST started tiny but grew really fast (honestly almost to fast for its own good), as part of the crowdfunding background it did something different that most traditional companies do not and ask for its users to guide that evolution. Donā€™t get me wrong I think companies ask for end user input but this is different. I would dare to say that some of the best creations in the ST platform came from the community! Ultimately, the platform grew so big that it caught the eye of Samsung. Now I know some will say that was the down fall but I think that is just evolution. I am not going to claim its better or worseā€¦ It just is! When a company is wildly successful this is what happens. I work for big companies so I know the mentality is different, the responsiveness can be lost, and that bring us to the place we are today. A very large society of those who supported this thing we call Smartthings. For those who helped shape it, I can appreciate their passionā€¦ you helped build this thing! So when things are not going as well as they should the response from the members of that society will vary. In many human societies that means social unrest, riots, coupe, etc. Honestly, not that different than what is happening here. We all speak out in our own way and for Bruce his voice was best heard by pulling RM in the hopes that those running ST would here the grumbling. Itā€™s not for us to judge his choice!

With that I would like to once again thank all the developers/contributorsā€¦ you are appreciated!

Cheers

9 Likes