Wiring question. Not sure what switch to control fan

Brand and model of the switch?

@JDRoberts sorry. It’s the one that came in the starter kit. Lutron Caseta PD-6WCL

That’s a dimmer switch. You didn’t hook that up to the fan motor, did you? They are not compatible.

If you only hooked up the lights, are the lights dimmable? What’s the brand and model of the bulbs?

Lutron support’s compatibility tool:

https://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Support.aspx

I only hooked it up to the lights. Separate switch for fan. These are the lights currently in there.

Edited after JD’s post:

So to recap you have a fan that had two mechanical three-way switches for the fan. You removed those, capped one side and replaced it with a Pico remote, and added a Lutron 3-way switch to the other. It’s not working. But if you bypass the switch you can get it to work.

Define “bypass the switch”. Are you just touching two wires together? Which two?

Pictures of the switch side would help.

Which side did you add the switch to? The side where power is being fed?

I don’t use Lutron switches, so this is just a guess. If you can touch two wires together and the light goes on, there are a couple possibilities.

1 - The switch is not working properly
2 - You need to feed a constant hot to the switch. I don’t know if it matters with this switch, but could the line and load be switched?

1 Like

@Bry The Lutron switch doesn’t require a neutral, and it’s a virtual remote with the pico, no traveler wires.

@tsatrom : My next question would be does the Lutron switch work with the Lutron app to turn the lights on?

If not, contact Lutron support and work with them until you have the switch working from the wall and from the Lutron app.

https://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Support.aspx

Once you have that working, then we can work on the smartthings integration. But one step at a time. :sunglasses:

Your picture doesn’t show the model number, but it doesn’t look like those are dimmable lights. They probably aren’t going to work with the dimmer switch. You need to either switch to dimmable bulbs or switch to a binary on/off switch. But post the model number, and we can check to be sure.

I’ll send model soon. I’m currently not home. If the bulbs were the issue, the inside of the lamp would be “hot” still right? I could test that part with a volt meter.

I’m not qualified to discuss specific wiring issues, I just stick to the device specifications. But Lutron support should be able to help you with all that. ( i’m an engineer, not an electrician.) :sunglasses:

Post pics and we’ll help you get it figured out.

And yes, the center conductor of the lamp is the hot. Although since this is AC, it would work if it was reversed . . .just not safe. You shouldn’t have to test at the lamp, though, since you said you bypassed the switch at it works just fine.

@JDRoberts @bri This picture is a single pole switch. Since I capped off the other side of the 3 way together, it works great as a single switch. Lights come on and off like normal. The fan lights came with bulbs that can dim by pulling the chain. These didn’t work with new, pd-6wcl smart switch. Picture is of dumb switch that works fine so I believe it’s the new switch or fan lights? Left side of picture are lights. Right side is fan on/off. I just don’t know why a regular switch works fine but the smart switch does nothing. Merry Christmas everyone.

OK. I think I understand now. The fan lights switch is presently a mechanical single pole switch. You are trying to replace it with the pd-6wcl. The fan lights are also currently controlled by a pull chain dimmer switch on the fan.

I’m thinking that you can’t have two dimmers on the same light. Dimmer switches work much differently than on/off switches. So you may have to either use an on/off smart switch, or rewire the fan lights to take the pull-chain dimmer out of the equation so you can use the pd-6wcl in the box.

1 Like

@bri @JDRoberts Ahh you are probably right Bri! The fan has a pull chain dimmer. If you pull the cord on the fan, it turns off the light. If you pull and hold the same cord, it dims the light. The other pull chain attached to the fan controls the fan speed. I bet you’re right about having two dimmers on the switch not allowing it to work. Do you have any idea how to take out the dimmer part of my fan? I really like that switch and want to keep it if possible. Else, I could replace the fan with one
that doesn’t dim? Here is a pic of my current fan.

I’m going to try and bypass the dimmer on the fan to see if that works. If not, do they sell fans/lights that would work for me?

@bri @JDRoberts I wanted to thank you guys again for your help. I was able to figure it out, finally! It ended up being the built in dimmer on the fan/light combo. I ripped the dimmer out of the fan. The new switch is working great and I absolutely love it. If it wasn’t for you two, I would’ve gave up. Thanks for taking the time to help me especially over the holidays. Have a great rest of the year.

1 Like

Glad you got it going!

1 Like