Wiring help? 3-way switched outlet

Yes he has a 14-2 going to the switches now that supplies both line and load. He could change that at the outlet to supply line and neutral to the switch instead. This will at least power a smart switch so the he would have a “no load” switch and then via rule/app he could mirror its state to the smart outlet.

3 Likes

Or zwave direct association, Which would create a setup that would work even if the hub itself is off-line or non-operational (such as during a hub firmware update).

For safety reasons, when there is a switched outlet, I prefer to use zwave direct association over any other virtual control that might not work when the hub was unavailable.

1 Like

The outlet is 1/2 switched, so it gets constant power anyway for the always on receptacle. The live wire sends current to both switches, either of which can interrupt the feed back to the outlet on the other receptacle. At least, that’s how I think it works.

I had to order a z-wave outlet, so it’s not here yet. But my plan is to pigtail the hot and neutral wires to feed the outlet and send to the switch. The smart switch will have no load, but getting power to it should allow it to join the zwave network.

I need to look into this z-wave association. I was planning to use a scene, but that seems like it could create some serious latency, not to mention your point about the hub being down.

1 Like

If you don’t use Z-wave association, then your next choice should be to use the Smart Lighting SmartApp.

As long as you stick with stock DTHs, Smart Lighting will run locally on the hub and you’ll have very minimal latency.

But the hub would need to be online.

1 Like