Wink Hub Teardown

Some more detailed information here: http://winkhubroot.wordpress.com

This is a very affordable gateway for lots of different protocols and it’s quite easy to send simple commands through http or over ssh.

Can it be used as an axillary controller via REST?

Sure, if you build a REST interface for it, which should not be too hard to do based on the existing php files.

Is there any docs/API?

Wink hub is coming to Canada. Could be an interesting winter project. I’m thinking it would be good to create a bridge with ST and use wink hub for BT ans Caseta switches.

1 Like

Exactly what I’m hoping people much brighter than I will push out in short time. I previously had Lutron switches already installed in the home and was waiting for a caseta-compatible solution.

Hoping to see a ST bridge to the wink hub, much like tcp and hue (which I also have-- trying to simplify but each have their benefits in my situation).

Unfortunately my Wink hub got bricked upon initial setup and now I will have to wait for my next trip to a US Home Depot…
(Note to Wink— why no Factory Reset or firmware failsafe?!)

message me if you still need the root password.

That’s the same switch combo I picked up. Unfortunately I’m not aware of a way to have Smartthings control it yet. My wink app is used just for the one light :-/

Lutron Smart Bridge Pro can make your Lutron switches work on your phone.

As I have said before - we may see work on a Lutron integration in the first part of next year as my new house, Alex’s new house, and David Eun’s new house all have Lutron (Radio RA2) everywhere.

Would love to see if there were any bridge devices out there that could aid in that effort.

1 Like

Ben,
That’s great news that Lutron may work in the future with SmartThings.
If a radio could control RA2 devices would it also be able to control Lutron Caseta devices as well?

Thanks for the writeup and clean teardown photos @cmonroe. I found this thread Googling specs on the Wink Hub and it got me even more excited about that brown van pulling up outside my house in two days time.

I pulled the trigger on Amazon after seeing this Hackaday post showing a simple way to root the Wink using the installed OS. $40 for Z-Wave, Zigbee, WiFi/BT, 433, plus JTAG? I have no intention of using a half-baked, locked-down, cloudy light switcher-oner, but I’m pretty sure I can manage to squeeze $40 of entertainment out of this (at the very least).

From your pictures, it really does look like the hardware design guys put some pride into building this. It’s simple, but clean, and with all those interfaces it might as well be a development board. I’m sure it’s due to cost, but I’m going to tell myself the hardware guys left the headers on there because they want this thing to be useful. I won’t know for sure until I get to poke at it a bit, but the Wink hardware looks much more interesting than the software. I mean, the Wink “things” API has defined endpoints for eggtray… and piggy_bank.

Thought I would drop in and let you know, in case someone here might want to pick one up and figure out what it can do.

1 Like

A lot of folks here got one (or more) for $1 when it was first introduced. Mine’s sitting in the closet waiting for better times. Keep us posted how far you can get. If someone could port OpenWRT or some other embedded Linux flavor to Wink, that would be truly awesome.

If I can get the radios to work with so much as an Arduino, I’ll buy all those $1 dust catchers :slight_smile:

I’m hoping I can sleuth together something from a combo of fun times w/ ARM SoC, an existing Freescale dev kit for the i.MX28, and at least one guy who has managed to get OpenWRT onto a tiny little i.MX28 device. But, if it’s true you’ve all stashed these hubs in the forgotten pile of wires and electronics in the garage, maybe it’s not so easy as my naivety allows me to believe.

In case anyone else pulls a genuine facepalm and forgets to change the default login before breaking init scripts, this will help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58002647&postcount=84

Can’t wait to hear more about this @Ben. As a software engineer and somebody who wants to start getting into home automation - SmartThings seems like a no-brainer as it’s extremely friendly to developers and the most innovative product out right now in my opinion. However, when it comes to lighting controls, nobody in the industry seems to build better ones than Lutron. I was about to start buying up Leviton vizia rf z-wave switches and a smart things hub last summer - then Lutron announced their Smart Bridge for Caseta finally putting Lutron into a competitive market (price) for the new era of home automation.

I’ve been holding off ever since waiting for an announcement from SmartThings and searching your forums multiple times a month looking for any information that y’all will be able to control Lutron devices - particularly the Caseta line. I’m not enough of a hobbyist (nor would my wife appreciate it) to have multiple types of switches around our house - so once I dive in, I want all “smart” switches to look and function the same. I know for sure I’m waiting for the 2.0 hub from SmartThings - but I don’t know if I should start buying Caseta stuff now only to be disappointed that the 2.0 hub can’t integrate with it and have to pick a different, lower-grade hub from another vendor.

1 Like