What thermostat would you suggest?

Not wanting to hijack, but… I already have my AC integrated using the vendors rather wifi offering (not great) but I can control it, also have temp sensors throughout the house.

I’ve struggled to find some literature on when it’s best to run modes (AC has Cool, Heat, Dry (dehumidifier) and fan), although I have a few hints I would love to see how some people have there systems automated, I’m in Australia, so climate can be humid and dehumidifier does help when not too hot.

I was thinking of trying to make a nest like learning thermostat app/script, that would just record states (temp/humidity) when I turn the system on/off or change modes and then try and mimic that behaviour later, but I haven’t got that far. Is there something already out there that I haven’t found?

Thanks
Wob

@Wob76, I am in South Louisiana, very hot and humid summer climates and then mild and even more humid winter climates. I use the Ecobee thermostats. My HVAC system is single stage heat and single stage cool. The Ecobee thermostat has a feature that when the humidity exceeds a certain value, I use 65%, the AC set point is reduced two degrees. In the winter time, I do not have any dehumidify options. I am investigating upgrading the insulation in my home and then adding a dehumidifier to deal with winter humidity and more efficiently handle summer humidity. This approach is pretty common here in older construction.

While I really like my ST, I would not trust is to be the primary party for HVAC operations. Rather I use it to adjust setpoints based on presence and/or house mode. Monitoring the remote sensors has helped me understand where my house would benefit from additional insulation and confirmed that I need better zoning in my home HVAC system. The Ecobee also allows me to designate certain sensors to shut off at night…so my AC operates at night based on comfort in the bedroom, not the living room.

I specifically chose Ecobee over Nest because of the remote thermostats. I also saw very little value in a “learning” thermostat. We have four kids and are a very active family. Our schedule from one day to the next is not sufficiently routine to live on a set schedule. Plus I have a mother-in-law that sometimes hangs out at my house during the day and other days does not. So rigid set back schedules do not work here. The Ecobee was a great match for us.

1 Like