What is a good low cost solution for zwave controlled LED under cabinet lighting?

Yeah, that would cause the problem unfortunately.

And, I guess, if they are IR then you need good light of sight to control them (so, probably another IR blaster pointed in that general direction).

In my case the lights are across the front porch, I stuck one of the blasters in the window. Itā€™s been working fine. On/Off with GE ZW module. seasonal color changes with Harmony app. The ones in the sun room I just have on ZW module on/off on motion, keep the original remote in a drawer for the occasional color change.

How is this set working out for you? Iā€™ve been trying to solve the same problem with under cabinet lighting, spanning an area in the middle over my sink. I donā€™t want to solder, and your solutions looks great. It doesnā€™t look like I will be able to accomplish this with the Hue strips, without either soldering, or buying a strip for each stretch that Iā€™m trying to cover.

Iā€™ve had them installed for year and a half now. The extensions work great youā€™ll even end up with extras. Just plug them in no soldering.

Well thanks again for the post. Your post is what finally pushed me over the planning phase and into the actual install. I started out with the Hue strips, and ultimately I think they are a better LED strip, with a better control app, but they wouldnā€™t work for what I was trying to do. I wanted to get this done without soldering. I would have preferred to stay away from a zigbee based light strip, but I went with the Osram Lightify strips. Downside is that you canā€™t connect to both the smartthings controller and the Osram hub at the same time. There is not much control within the smartthings app, and the color transitioning is not very smooth. But, it was mandatory for me to have them integrated into the rest of the smartthings ecosystem to use with motion, alarms, and other automationā€™s.

The extensions were back ordered everywhere I looked and I really wanted to finish the project out in time for a couple holiday parties at the house. So I bought one Indoor/Outdoor strip to span the top of the cabinets on other side of the kitchen, the Lightify Hub (to handle firmware updates), and one regular lightify indoor strip set. They come in 2 foot sections with short connectors to expand or connect the segments together. So I cut each connector in half, and used cat6 cable to essentially make the connector longer, allowing me to span the gap over the sink, and use a single kit to light up each section without lighting up the inside of the cabinets where the cable travels from top to bottom and across. I think it worked out pretty well. No soldering, and I didnā€™t have to buy connectors or additional light strip sets.

2 Likes

@bniemiec could you explain your setup. Beucase this is what Iā€™m trying to do, using the ethernet cable to so i can extend from top of cabinets to bottom. I also dont want to solder. Where did you get your adapters from and which RBGW strips did you use? Iā€™m just now trying to get into this and definitely want to have all the right stuff before diving in.

Thanks.

Hi, so I basically just bought the Osram Lightify indoor strip set, which came with short connectors, to allow you to string together multiple sets of strips. They look like this

I just cut them in half, and extended the wires using cat5 and keystone jacks. The lightify connectors use 5 small wires. So, I only needed to use 5 of the 8 wires that are in cat5 cables. You can pick any 5, just make sure they match at both ends.

Newbie here :baby:. I have 3 sections of cabinets (each with an outlet above) that I want to install under-cabinet lighting on without running an extension cable that would be visible (also two of the sections are on different sides of a vent hood chimney that goes all the way to the ceiling, so I canā€™t run an extension there). We just moved in and Iā€™m comfortable with wiring, soldering, installation, but Iā€™m brand new to the whole smart home/appliances/devices scene. Is there a way to control these 3 separate areas with one wall switch? The wall switch would have 110V AC, but wouldnā€™t be able to be wired directly to the light strips/controllers themselves. Can the color be controlled by the switch at all or would that have to be done via an app?

Here a new vendor with cheaper Zigbee led strip controllers in different versions: RGB, RGBW, RGB-CCT and CCT-only.

I bought a RGB-CCT Zigbee controller for ā‚¬20.

Gledopto Zigbee led controller RGB CC CW