What are the MUST DO things in the Smartthings app?

So if you are not using SHM for the dashboard and/or intrusion alerts, what are you using instead? How are you notified of a possible intruder?

I decided that I don’t need to know every time my wife “intrudes”. She does not appreciate when I greet her with a bat in my hands. JK.

4 Likes

Basically the same response as @625alex. I generally don’t have the need of being notified about intruders, but I really like that they’ve designed a solution that appeals to the masses.

Also keep in mind that Alex developed the infamous SmartTiles web-based dashboard, so he can always refer to that if he wants to get a quick overview of the status of all his devices.

And I developed SharpTools which is a set of widgets and Tasker plugins for Android. So in my case, if I want to be notified of something, I usually subscribe to the event in SharpTools and react to it in Tasker – either through a simple notification or widget (or in rare cases, an audible alert).

3 Likes

I see, thanks. I guess I’m striving to use my ST setup differently then. I’m mainly interested in alerts of something going on at my house when we are away. I have ST for motion and open/close sensors. I have Hue for lighting schedules (not integrated with ST), and I have Canary cameras for video. The cameras, of course, include motion sensors but this solution costs more and doesn’t cover areas of the house where I want alerts to motion, like the garage and the office. (EDIT) In those places I have the ST motion sensors.

NewtoHA - Like you I’m new to HA. Bought my ST hub about 3 weeks ago along with two GE switches: one outdoor plug for Christmas lights and a dimmer switch for the living room. My experience with these has been GREAT. First suggestion: use a tablet rather than a phone to create any rules. Much easier. The Christmas lights are pretty simple: on at 5:30p and off at 9:30. With the living room dimmer however I created a simple on/off but also a “presence” event. When my wife comes home and it’s after 9:30p, her phone signals her presence to the hub and the light goes on automatically. I set the timing on this for any time between 9:30p and 6:30a. My wife loves this.

The “addiction” then started and I purchased an Iris motion detector. That created a bunch of frustration because although it was seen as I device, I couldn’t figure out how to tell ST what it was. That led me to the following web site: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/. There I had to use the “My Devices” setting and change the unknown device type to a SmartThings Motion/Temp sensor, which worked just fine after that. A little geeky to be sure!

Finally, with a new toy and the fact that I had to get up last night and go down to the kitchen in the dark, I created a new event. After midnight, when the motion detector senses motion, turn on the living room light (using my first purchased switch) at 40% and turn it back off after 5 minutes of no one roaming around down stairs. This event works from midnight until 6am.

So, don’t be afraid of pressing onward with the SmartThings system. If you make a bad event, just delete it and start over. - Enjoy! All of a sudden you’ll come up with lots of things to do with ST

3 Likes

Thank you KayakL8. I appreciate your info and encouragement. I may experiment with ST more after the holidays. Given ST’s difficulties, I want to keep my setup as simple as possible while we are away. I’m still debating whether I’ll keep the system in general - we’ll see. Yesterday’s outage and subsequent need to do a physical reset was not confidence building
 I love new technology and gadgets, and the community here is amazing. That makes me want to stick with it. But I already work a lot of hours in I.T. and if this system becomes more burden and frustration than fun, that’s when I would have to pull the plug.

No need to pull the plug, actually
 Just put your Hub on a smart outlet and then order it to shut itself off. :ghost: 
 Depending on what SmartApps you have configured, even the batteries might not let it turn itself back on. :smiling_imp:

LOL, not sure if your post was sarcastic but when I said “pull the plug,” I meant give up on the system all together. :grin:

1 Like

I’m likewise in the I/T profession, which is why this stuff seems so interesting. Yes there have been some ups and downs lately, but not worth getting too excited about if you have just a few devices. Like all hardware/software marriages, there will be some challenging times, but it will get better.

1 Like