Water tank pump - IFTTT to turn off pump if running for more than x minutes

Power allowance is just a shutoff timer. Any device that is controlled by smartthings can be set to turn off after X minutes. People use it for all different kinds of purposes. You can also get much more complicated in the logic, but that’s the simplest use Case.

There’s a how to article in the community – created wiki on setting up a virtual timer for a light, for example. In that case you might want to have the porch lights turn off after 15 minutes, but only if they were turned on because someone just arrived home. If you turn them on manually from the switch, you don’t want the automatic timer to Kick in.

So in that case you use power allowance on a virtual switch, not the actual physical device. Anyway, that’s all explained in the article. And as I mentioned in my previous post, you can use power allowance on a smart plug and if you want you could create a virtual timer using the same method in the wiki article.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_create_a_virtual_timer_for_a_light

If you want to look at ways of setting up more complex rules, see the community FAQ:

But for the use case as you’ve described it, as I mentioned in my previous post, you should be able to do it with just the power allowance feature in smart lighting and any smart plug that matches the specs of the pump.

In all cases, of course, you have to make sure that the physical devices you are using match the specs of the use case you are creating. Not all smart plugs or switches can handle motors. :sunglasses:

1 Like