Wanted user control over hub update

I get the emails stating that my hub will be off line at some random time on an odd day of the week. When I get home there is always something funky with the system, a light on that’s not suppose to be or a routine that did not start because the hub was off line.

Can we please have the ability to pick when we want to update our hub, please don’t give us some lame excuse like all systems have to be updated at the same time for the cloud server to function properly. The fact is every other hub I have… Harmony… Philips… Apple tv4… Allow the user to manually update.

It’s a simple request… And it avoids the liability if say my house is broken into and I’m unaware that it happens with the alarm set but the hubs off line so I don’t call the police. So I sue and win. Or the house burns down because my space heater was suppose to turn off the exact time the hub update happens. So I sue and win.

4 Likes

Not to dismiss anything else you said… you’re very much correct that this should be able to be picked vs. pushed at a time that ST says.

However, I think you’d have a hard time suing over those things. ST isn’t the same as an Security system in more ways then just the “not live monitored” aspect. Yes, you can use it for safety and security monitoring, but I’m sure there are plenty of legalese disclaimers in the TOS that cite things like: “No guarantee for 100% reliability of network… never use ST for monitoring of critical or life dependent systems.” or something like that.

I would honestly be pretty shocked if you won a case against ST in a situation like that.

However, all that said… your point is still very relevant and accurate: Users should be able to determine times for upgrades like firmware to hubs.

Im not saying i would, it would be a terrible waste of time, But people do and for lessor offences. I just want control over the hub and was making a exaggerated case to get their attention.

This already exist, https://graph.api.smartthings.com > My Hubs > View Utilities > Edit

Set the time when you want maintenance to happen in UTC. Google can help with the conversion from your time zone to UTC.

That doesn’t work for me. Mine is set to update between 4-5 AM UTC, but my hub was updated based to the communication received, between 9 and 12 PT. That’s not near 4 AM UTC…

1 Like

The field exists, but system-initiated updates ignore it. Support can confirm this.

What “liability”? If you can afford better lawyers than Samsung, then you can afford a much much better security system.

http://www.smartthings.com/terms/

… Risk of Loss; Insurance. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, USING THE SERVICES TO SECURE OR OTHERWISE CONTROL ACCESS TO ANY REAL OR PERSONAL PROPERTY) IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND THAT YOU ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR ALL LOSSES, DAMAGES AND EXPENSES ARISING OUT OF SUCH USE. SMARTTHINGS IS NOT AN INSURER. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING INSURANCE COVERING ALL LOSS, DAMAGE OR EXPENSE, WHETHER FOR PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY (INCLUDING DEATH), ECONOMIC LOSSES OR ANY OTHER FORM OF LOSS, DAMAGE OR EXPENSE ARISING OUT OF OR FROM (I) THESE TERMS, OR (II) THE SERVICES.

Indemnity. You agree to indemnify and hold SmartThings, its affiliates, officers, agents, employees, and partners harmless for and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages (actual and consequential), losses and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising from or in any way related to any third party claims relating to (a) your use of the Services (including any actions taken by a third party using your account), and (b) your violation of these Terms. In the event of such a claim, suit, or action (“Claim”), we will provide notice of the Claim to the contact information we have for your account (provided that failure to deliver such notice shall not eliminate or reduce your indemnification obligations hereunder).

2 Likes

I was just talking about this with some people internally last night.

I want to gather more information, but this is something we want to do, but there are some hurdles we need to jump before we can offer something like this.

5 Likes