VLC Thing. A Poor Man's Sonos. Version 2.0 Released 12/22/2016

It was an old PC, was running Vista. I ended up giving up on it and just installed Lubuntu, works great there.

Hi!
I tried to install VLC on a old iPad and it supports http, I can access it but I canā€™t get it to play something? Any ideas what went wrong?

I have used port 80 in vlc thing as thatā€™s the port that works in my browser.

I got VLC Thing working very well. In the Smartthings app I see like a mp3 files that it seem to be sending to VLC, where is this file stored / cached?

I want to make it works on a VoIP phoneā€™s Multicast paging feature. For example I have a SNOM 821 phone, and I can use a FFMPEG command to play a MP3 to the phone.

Test.mp3 is my sample and the multicast IP the phone is listening to is 224.168.168.168:6061

ffmpeg -re -i ./test.mp3 -filter_complex ā€œaresample=8000,asetnsamples=n=160ā€ -acodec pcm_mulaw -ac 1 -vn -f rtp udp://224.168.168.168:6061

There is option you can change the volume too:
ffmpeg -re -i ./test.mp3 -filter_complex ā€œaresample=8000,asetnsamples=n=160,volume=-23dBā€ -acodec pcm_mulaw -ac 1 -vn -f rtp udp://224.168.168.168:6061

It will be call if I can get that same smartthings sound file of the notification being pages through all my VoIP phones.

Thanks,
John

I end up getting the CyberData VoIP Paging Server to convert the analog audio back to IP multicast page, but I am sure it have a more direct way to do thisā€¦ https://youtu.be/4YUdRHXFu1I

Is there any way to get the music to play on my google home minis? Or can the music only play locally where VLC is installed?

How do I make it play a MP3 file ?
I want to play a ā€œplingā€ sound, or a special voice recorded as a .mp3.

I`m not sure what to type in the URL information.
Or where to put my .mp3 file in my local disk

I use RaspBerry PI

Thank you :slight_smile:

Nobody ? not possible to play a MP3 ? I cant figure out what URL to use in my mp3.

Vlc thing is just a device. To make it play a mp3 you need a smart app to tell it what mp3 to download. Try big talker. It worked for me.

Iā€™m always getting the round red arrow and disconnected . Everything works from a mobile phone via web browser to MyIP:8080. Tried also to disable the firewall. No successā€¦
Please give some hints how to debug this problem ? How to make this workā€¦

super-old thread now, but you may not be aware that echo can speak custom messages now based on triggers.

My problem is that Echo Speak and Alexa canā€™t speak my language (Hebrew), So I created mp3 files insteadā€¦
Just want to let know that I finally succeed to make this workā€¦ Thankā€™s to @jamesguitar3 .
I Removed my VLC device, recreate the DHT, chose a simple password in VNC like abcd, name the new created VLC (not VLC Thing). It works :slight_smile:
I have no idea what i did wrong in the first tryā€¦

1 Like