Using Contact and Motion Sensors to Trigger Alexa Routines (DTH in post 97) (Official Amazon Feature)

Hi, bjpierron i saw your DTH for the alexa switch but cant seem to get it to work, could you help me out? I feel like I’ve installed it properly as for my switches history it shows both “on” and “open” and “off” and closed" however, in WebCoRE and in Alexa it only recognizes it as a switch. Alexa even says it’s a contact sensor but still gives the option to turn on and off, thus I can’t create an Alexa routine with it. Thank you very much!

Did you follow the exact steps in the exact order given in the FAQ? That’s how you get echo to recognize the device as both a sensor and a switch. See post 247 above yours:

Using Contact and Motion Sensors to Trigger Alexa Routines (DTH in post 97) (Official Amazon Feature) - #247

I did not see an FAQ :pleading_face: but I saw where it said to unlink and sign out of Alexa and I did that to no avail. Did I miss some other instructions?

It’s five steps, not two, so that may be what you missed.

Just follow the steps in that article exactly in the order in which they are given.

If that doesn’t work, then I will have to leave it to other people to help you with the code. Good luck!

It worked! My only fear is now I’m getting a second vacuum for prime day and I have to make another switch and I hope I don’t have to go through all of that again! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

1 Like

This does not work any more , I have logged an issue on the Github , will be extremely helpful for resolution comments.

Is this method still supported? Alexa recognizes when the virtual switch is triggered but it will not trigger the Alexa outine. I can manually trigger the Alexa routine and it completes the task correctly. The automation I set up in ST to trigger the virtual switch is correct and works. But it doesn’t trigger the Alexa routine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It’s unfortunately currently broken for some people, but not everyone. Engineering is aware of it and is working on it, but it’s weird. and annoying.

Virtual switches (alexa) keep braking

1 Like

It’s unfortunately currently broken for some people, but not everyone. Engineering is aware of it and is working on it, but it’s weird. and annoying.
Virtual switches (alexa) keep braking

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll follow that post to stay updated.

1 Like