Updates to the SmartThings Platform

I saw something like that starting Friday 8/28, app notifications were seriously delayed but they came in eventually, SMS seem ok you can try that

For me – with iPhones used for presence:

• presence is only accurate around 75% of the time (based on my checks of status via the IDE)
  • but simple automations that do nothing but notify whenever there’s an arrival/departure of an iPhone work only about 1/3 of the time

Have you looked at the logs in the IDE? I find that presence is actually working just fine. The the problem is that automations don’t actually respond to presence events at least half of the time.

1 Like

Yep, I have.

I’ve definitely seen a few misfires in presence – where an iPhone has returned home, for example, but the IDE still shows that it’s away. More often than not, though, it’s working. (In fairness, my 75% estimate might be low! I haven’t monitored it consistently, but rather have just done a few spot checks.)

Regardless, mobile presence is useless if it can’t accurately trigger an Automation – and that’s definitely not working well.

1 Like

This. It was bad enough rebuilding all my routines as automations, but I sucked it up in the name of progress. Stupid me to think they would actually be working.

The hub’s Presence Sensor Timeout is used for the first generation of Presence/Arrival Sensor fobs. Later fobs use a setting in the handler. Mobile Presence doesn’t use it at all.

3 Likes

Thanks again @JDRoberts . Your post over here FAQ: Where can I see who's home and who's away in the new V3 app? is starting to make this all come together for me why all this is happening. Sometimes I just feel dumb that I can’t figure it out, but Smartthings continues to change features without really letting us know the underlying story.

It looks like after the newest release of the new app update (new NEW app?) to support these “multiple locations” features you mentioned in your linked post, they had to change the way the phone listed under “devices” in the IDE. For me, this created a duplicate phone/presence device. I kept thinking the duplicate saying “placeholder” was a dummy device and kept deleting it, when that is actually the “new” device that needs to be used. The old one, linked to webcore automations, is now dead and always home. I had to remove that one from all automations, and link to the new one. The status on the new 'placeholder device finally updated last night to show I am home. We’ll see for sure if it is working next time I leave.

The old simulated presence sensor does show in the new app, but unlike the old app, there is no way to change its status to test it. I actually tweaked the code for the simulated presence sensor to also make it a combined sensor/ on/off switch. All my webcore automations are now linked to this simulated presence sensor/contact switch, and I have one automation that links the phone’s presence to that simulated switch. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to just link the simulated switch/presence sensor to IFTTT, Alexa, or some other app that reliably works for presence as it now has the on/off capability. Alexa just “dinged” me and found the device after I made it an on/off switch so she can control it now in a routine.

Others have wrote similar code from years back, but anyone who wants the code I updated for the combined simulated presence sensor/switch can get it here https://github.com/mwav3/smartthingscode/blob/master/devicetypes/mwav3/setable-simulated-presence-sensor.src/setable-simulated-presence-sensor.groovy or from importing it from mwav3 smartthings master . Here’s what it looks like:

1 Like

Aah ok – seemed like the old mobile presence didn’t flip as often, but it’s probably exacerbated by the geofence’s inability to be larger and cover my use case of remaining present when I’m driving within my town.

So I guess we just continue to lose features and take steps backwards?

Hubitat is sounding like a more appealing option every day.

10 Likes

I, being of sound mind and body, do hereby declare that I too do not want to share all my SmartThings devices with Alexa and Google.

14 Likes

Well
 I’ve had it with this migration. It’s totally messed everything up that I used and enjoyed about SmartThings being a smart home. The new SmartThings app is absolutely crap ! It supposed to be faster at updating. It’s taking forever for it to show the device. Never had this issue before. On and managed to get STHM working for a few days then boom. It’s broken again. I’ve been with SmartThings since the release of hub v2. Got quiet a bit of stuff going on in the house but it seems that it won’t be running very smooth for much longer . And using Alexa for automations 
 what is going on. I have never and will never depend on Alexa to control all my smart things. So much for local control. It’s just turned into a massive farce. Don’t know how much more I can take before I leave Samsung. It’s just not smart any longer.

3 Likes

@blake.arnold there is an incorrect name displayed on the voice assistants page. It should be Linked services not Connected services

2 Likes

Yay, so this is how the platform handles new mobile presence devices @blake.arnold? 8 events when being well within my geofence?

2 Likes

I, being of sound mind and body, do hereby declare that I too do not want to share all my SmartThings devices with Alexa and Google.

11 Likes

So stealing this!

Hi, I know I can run both on the same device. But my question is if I migrate on one device, will it affect my classic app on other devices? Does migrating affect my account or hub?

Thanks.

Out of general curiosity
beyond a company taking control out of your hands
why don’t you want Alexa seeing all of your devices? The first thing I do when I hook up a device is have Alexa discover it. I’ve never had a major issue. Or had Alexa activating a completely inappropriate device. The most that will happen is it hears me incorrectly and either says “did you mean
”, or “you have more than one device with ‘x’ in it which did you mean”
or something to that effect. That happens maybe five times a week, considering I call Alexa 100 times a day that’s good. So whats the deal?

2 Likes

I also echo this sentiment. Furthermore, I do not want to be forced on to the new skill on Sept 8th due to some arbitrary deadline that ST are seemingly refusing to flex.

Please ST, listen to your community and delay this switchover a few weeks until this functionality is restored.

Thank you.

6 Likes

This has been discussed at length in multiple threads with different people having different reasons. You can find a lot of this discussion in this thread above or in the following.

New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

One of the most common reasons is that people prefer to use the device manufacturer’s native integration rather than the smartthings integration because it provides more features. And because it will work even when smartthings isn’t working. Yes, you can go through the Alexa app and individually disable each of the devices but that gets to be a lot of work, particularly for people who have several hundred devices.

In my case, it’s even simpler: it could kill somebody. :skull_and_crossbones:

I have medical monitoring equipment which I never want exposed to any voice system, even for a minute, to prevent its accidentally being turned off.

Another community member gave a similar example. They have three locations on their account: their own home, their sister’s home, and their mother’s home. The mother has an oxygen tank plugged in in her bedroom. After the new skill arrived, the sister gave a voice command to turn off all lights, and it turned off the oxygen tank at the mother’s house as well. :scream:

Still other people have privacy and security concerns: they just don’t want a list of all their devices showing up in their Amazon or Google Home account.

The main point is that this was an unadvertised change, and there was no way to go back. For something with potentially fatal outcomes, that’s pretty serious.

So from a convenience standpoint, the duplicated devices probably affects the most people. But from a feature design standpoint, killing even one of your customers is bad business. Just sayin’
 :wink:

20 Likes

Considering the state of SmartThings, I wouldn’t want it there either :scream:

3 Likes