Updates to the SmartThings Platform

True. I’m specifically asking about a Samsung TV using an OCF connection. I’m seeing evidence that it isn’t even updating it’s states in the Groovy IDE.

1 Like

Are y’all still working to fix this? There are many devices that I do not want smartthings giving google access to but since the re-connection i have been forced to allow ALL devices to google?

2 Likes

Hey guys, somehow I ended up with two presence devices for one member in the new app. The 2nd one is not from the classic app, as I deleted those a while ago. The 2nd one showed up after an app update where it turned off location and turning it back on gave me an error.

How do I delete the duplicate one …? Turning off location doesn’t delete any of them.

Edit: I got rid of them by deleting the presence sensor in the IDE.

If I update one of my phones to the new platform, will it essentially cripple/invalidate all of my classic apps on my other phones and tablets? I basically want to just mess with it now without full migration to see if im going to stay or slowly migrate to Hubitat.

You can run both apps on the same device if desired.
Just don’t hit the migration button until you are ready to switch

And don’t run presence in both New and Classic at the same time on the same device.

2 Likes

I would also like to voice my dissatisfaction with the current steps Smartthings has taken to allow voice assistant’s blanket access. This is in part a privacy issue, and a logistics nightmare. I get that most users might have 1 or 2 devices and might not care but there are others who have multiple locations with a ton of devices that should not be able to be accidently turned off because google assistant or alexa thought they heard something.
Please roll this back and give us the ability to choose ( freedom of choice?)
at this current moment, I for one will wait for a while and if this does not get fixed then i will have to move away from smartthings and will no longer promote anyone from using it (to be honest).

8 Likes

Why not? I’m doing it and they work.

1 Like

Because all of the sudden, out of nowhere, the location will get screwed up when running it on both apps. I had the old App still to access some settings on old DTHs that were not in the new app. My new app just updated to the next Android version. It created a ghost duplicate location, that had to be deleted in the IDE. Just spent most of the night reprogramming automations, and I still don’t know if it’s fixed until I leave the house again. As @nathancu says DO NOT run location on both apps installed on the same phone. Plus two devices pinging location kills your battery life.

1 Like

I had presence enabled in both Classic and new from about May until last week. I didn’t have any issue then. It didn’t kill my battery life on my S8.

In fact, it wasn’t until I switch to just using the new app for presence that things got screwed up, with the new update for the new app that disabled location and caused the duplicate presence.

1 Like

It probably is just the new app screwing it all up then

I have virtual presence sensors setup mirrored to the real ones so I can see presence in the new app (can’t remember where I saw that but might have even got that idea from one of your posts @jlv ) . I’m going to just link all my automations and pistons to the virtual ones. That way if location gets screwed up again, I only have to update the one piston that mirrors the locations to the virtual devices.

Fool me once Samsung…

1 Like

Here’s the real presence device to virtual presence device Webcore piston if anyone is interested. You need to use the IDE first to create the virtual presence device then assign access to that virtual device in Webcore

Import code gnbed .

2 Likes

Here is mine that works, accounting for presence in both apps

No battery drain either.

I still can’t get presence working on my one phone since the Android app update. Deleted app, reinstalled, cleared app data. Removed
device from all automations, deleted in IDE. Nothing works. My phone just shows as a “placeholder” as device type and no status away or present. Any other ideas while I hopelessly wait for support to just tell me to reinstall the app again? Thought it was from having classic on as well (classic is uninstalled) but others seem to be having the issue right after the lastest 1.7.51.42 update.

Everytime I think I get things working on this new app something else breaks.

1 Like

Well, the placeholder device type is correct at least for the new mobile presence device…

1 Like

As I understand it, “placeholder” just means it’s not a zigbee or Z wave device.

2 Likes

Thanks guys I thought it was a bum device since it looks different and has no location event history. I’ll try linking automations to it and see what happens

add a notification to your automations and that way, you will quickly know if presence is working. if presence works, you can remove the notifications later if you choose.

2 Likes

I can confirm that Placeholder presence devices is working. I think we’re at the tip of the iceberg, tho, insofar as issues cropping up with new STapp and presence IMO, and shifting unannounced under our feet. The one thing that’s been stable for me for about 2 years just hit the fan. Thanks.

To begin with, in the midst of persuading (read: bum rushing) us to migrate, they changed the presence integration back-end and it started doing this Placeholder bit and creating new devices. What a bunch of BS. Just 2 weeks ago after I read this thread I decided to speed up my integration of new ST and set up presence on my wife’s phone and my in-laws using new ST app and deleting Classic. The wife’s adopted the same presence device as Classic, which was great. On my in-laws, a day later, it created entirely new devices (real presence typed, not Placeholder) and I had to futz with WebCORE. My wife’s is still working unchanged, but my in-laws presence has stopped firing for over a week. I don’t live close to them so I’ll see in a few days what happened and why it stopped working. I just turned on the use my location option in new ST and it created a Placeholder device. So much for consistency.

I can also bet now if you uninstall and reinstall new ST app on the phone, you’ll be cursing ST recreating new ST automations and tracking down all your old presence devices in WebCore and manually replacing them.

I’ve already seen that the new presence device is not honoring my hub’s Presence Sensor Timeout value of 3, as this thing has swung presence a few times while driving near the edge of my geofence within a minute’s time.

Plus the geofence is now limited to 2km max. I live in a very large town, and this is just inadequate. Classic and new ST also used to share the same geofence, I’m pretty sure – now they are disconnected.

I saw here Phone mobile presence in post 5 that if you have multiple locations, new ST is not firing presence in the one you don’t have selected in the app. Can’t wait to see that happen to me, as I leave one ST Location for another. If I get into an accident switching my Location in New App while driving, can I sue Samsung?

1 Like

Even if your presence is working (mine is 100% based on logs), the damn automations only fire half of the time of your lucky. I bet people are seeing a lot of that as well.

3 Likes