UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

Eh, I’m pretty sure if it was as simple as that, they would have sorted that out long ago.

1 Like

You would hope so but…

If that’s the case, I’m on some super elite server because my stuff works remarkably well lately (keep my fingers crossed behind my back). But then again, I don’t use any custom apps, except Pollster and that’s been running like a champ since the new scheduler was deployed. :wink:

3 Likes

Get them over to support before you fix them. I am waiting for my next headless rule so I can get it over to support.

All we can do being external to the company is make guesses which are more like stabs in the dark since we don’t have the details needed to make those determinations. I am not here to tell them what is wrong with their system and wouldn’t want to without knowing the internal workings of the system, I just want the system I invested in to work like it did the first few weeks I had it and I don’t feel that is too much to ask for.

Based on the last developer call it seems that ST is trying to fix the issues and get better going forward about working with the community but I am not one of the 2+ year veterans of using the service that have said things have not really changed in that time. I guess all we can do is hope that they do have a clue about what the issue is and that it is being resolved as quickly as possible, I know for me and probably most of the community that cannot come fast enough.

I will say that the new scheduler does seem to have helped as I cannot recall too many of my scheduled events failing in the past week or so and I am happy about that.

1 Like

Android Mobile Client Update 2.1.1 is released! What surprises are we in for now? There are no release notes posted in the “Mobile Release Notes” category. Google Play says:

Tom: “Hey guys, let’s push out a new version at 5pm on a Friday, right before we all go home for the weekend.”

Bill: “That sounds like a great idea!”

Frank: “What could possibly go wrong?”

3 Likes

Hmm, policy has changed?

1 Like

Nope. Same policies as always. :slight_smile:

Personal attacks will never be tolerated.

4 Likes

Tim do you respond to PMs or is there a better avenue to contact you?

1 Like

My experience today: I have not updated to the new Android app version (I’ve learned not to be an early adopter), but am getting a lot of “You appear to be having issues with your network” error from the 2.1.0 app. Same phone, same location, same signal strength - nothing has changed on my end. Were there system changes implemented to support the new mobile app?

it’s nice to see that 2.1.1 fixed the “error loading smart apps” issue, not…

3 Likes

I started using SHM again about a week ago when ST claimed to be getting a handle on the degraded performance. BTW they have never publicly explained what happened in mid-March to cause this meltdown, right?

Anyway. SHM seemed to be working well enough. No random alarms for no reason, and when I tested it by opening doors while armed it would respond appropriately.

Now it’s broken again. Opening a door while in armed/stay mode caused my aeon siren to go off, but no actual intrusion alert from within the app. Then when SHM should have been disarmed by a good morning routine, an open door resulted in an intrusion alert but NO siren. Even though the good morning routine ran, the SHM screen in the iOS app indicated SHM was still armed. Tapping on disarm caused it to just spin endlessly. I had to tap arm/away and then disarm, as others have mentioned they had to do as well.

I am not pushing the envelope of ST’s capabilities here. Also the customer service reps take so long to respond to emails that they’re of basically no use. Not that they can do anything to fix this problem anyway.

So, my system has been behaving mostly… And I was feeling kind of stupid… So I jumped right on that app update!

Let’s see what the future holds! ! YEEHAW! !

1 Like

Me too. Same thing…was working great and today I couldn’t get it to disarm and had to AGAIN uninstall SHM.uggghhh this is taking so long to fix this issue!

So according to the most recent status page update, they are delaying the fix to SHM. WTF! This is ridiculous. I have been waiting patiently for weeks for this fix and just when they are about to do it, they end up delaying it! SHM not working is really the only issue I have been having during all of this. I am so disappointed to hear this since I bought ST mainly for the security features…my mistake I guess for believing the description on their website about the SHM features! This is infuriating. I can be patient, but I lose that patience when I hear that they are basically giving up on fixing the issue that I am having!!! I may be looking into returning this soon if they don’t get back to fixing SHM!

1 Like

They never said they were giving up on it, they said they wanted to do more testing so they don’t get flamed on the forums if there are bugs in the solution… damned if they do, damned if they dont.

1 Like

So, I’m reading through the forum like I normally do and I keep seeing the posts about the most recent update from ST. They’re delaying… Again…

Ok.

There are folks here that have been here since the beginning. They have their reasons for staying through all of the pains, but they have stayed. Probably for a lot of the reasons I’m staying.

I’ve only been here for 7 months, btw.

But something I’ve picked up from the vets… St had been extremely consistent about pushing updates and hot fixes, quickly. Sometimes, amazingly quickly.

And one very consistent thing with that, within minutes the forum would be flooded with the most basic of bugs and problems that very well should have been caught in the QA process.

That very obvious lack of an effective QA process is most definitely one of the major contributing factors to the March meltdown.

And now, we see things like the Samson smart home appliances in the app. We see smartthings in the upcoming televisions. Smartthings will very quickly be everywhere.

People have complained about Samsung not doing anything, about the ineptitude of ST.

But here is what I’m seeing…

It is obvious that SHM is at the heart of this meltdown. It touches everything within the environment. The system was designed around it.

One of, or both, of two things has occurred.

1. ST finally learned a lesson and fixed the QA process
    Or
  2. Samsung is fixing it for them.

I think the company has finally started showing some maturity in the fact that they are delaying the big fix, avoiding little fixes, and are now making the hard decisions.

I believe that when this is all done and over with, ST is finally going to become the system we have all been dreaming of.

1 Like

Well I will drink a beer in hopes of that but I am certainly not holding my breath at this point.

1 Like

@Motley

It will either be that or we all get a paper weight.

I’m hoping for a no on the paperweight