UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

Yeah, but can they replace a bad cloud? :smiley:

1 Like
20 Likes

I have been told by two different ST staff that if you send a second reply to a ST customer service email before they have replied to the first one, your note gets treated like a brand-new request (but still attached to the original case number) and your problem goes all the way to the back of that representativeā€™s current support queue. Apparently thatā€™s just how their queue tracking software works.

This is a big problem for me, because I canā€™t take my own screenshots, particularly since the most recent mobile app update is no longer navigable by voice. So what I have been doing was sending the first request, and then if it had been a day or two, following up with some screenshots if the problem reoccurred. Apparently, that meant I was continually losing my place in line. :disappointed_relieved:

So now I just save up additional documentation until the customer service person does send me a note even if itā€™s just ā€œthat is strange. Have you tried re-pairing the device?ā€ And then when I reply to that I include whatever additional documentation Iā€™ve been saving.

edited to update According to Ryan below, this queueing issue was fixed a few weeks ago, and now follow ups wonā€™t send you to the back of the line. :sunglasses:

So letā€™s say its Tuesday and my home automation is working as designed. My window candles, all 9 of them, come on at sunset, go off at 11PM, my stairway light turns on when there is motion and turns off 4 minutes later, and my outside lights come on at dusk and go off at dawn. So far so good.

Now letā€™s move to Wednesday, one day later. My stairway light is not responding to motion even though the motion detector is logging motion. A portion of my window candles are off when they should be on. My outside lights are not responding like they did on Tuesday. Since Tuesday I have not touched a thing with my setup. Nothing. And my internet connection is about as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar.

So what gives? Is this normal behavior? If so it is very, very, very frustrating! Not only do I get POā€™ed when this happens but so does every member of my household. ā€œThe stairway light is not coming on!!!ā€. ā€œWhy are the family room candles not on/off?!ā€ , etc.

I thought a version 2 hub might improve the situation but I have yet to see a good explanation of what the ā€œsome items will work locallyā€ really means! Would that take care of my issues? Totally? My issues have to be tied into something going kerflooey on ST servers, no? This seems to happen every few months, so could someone stop monkeying with the back end so that us users can live in peace???

A good place to start reading. Buckle up.

1 Like

While there have been a few change ā€œon purposeā€ that introduced unforeseen bugs, the main ā€œmonkeysā€ in this case are SmartThings Customers which are growing quickly in both number of Hubs and number of devices per Hub. :monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey: ā€¦ :monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

See the other Topic, and many more, about what SmartThings is doing to solve this scaling problem.

I feel your pain. It took a while for my fiance to get used to not using the light switches/etc. Now pretty much on a daily basis some automation doesnā€™t work. Rules losing actions, devices disappearing, you know what I am talking about. I am thankful that the Hue and LIFX android apps work as I frequently have to resort to using them when a routine doesnā€™t work (due to MY network problems it tells meā€¦I love that one). If my LIFX bulbs or Enerwave SC7 controllers were more widely supported I would have jumped ship by now.

Iā€™m wondering if these backend issues theyā€™re working on may affect events being recieved on my hub. Iā€™ve watched packet traces and see responses being sent back to the hub (from WebIOPi), but the hub seemingly ignores any and all responses. As a test, Iā€™ve just installed the Raspberry Pi device handler at the moment (corrected the issues for my flavor Pi), and itā€™s still not working properly. It was yesterday. In fact, everything custom was working fine yesterday.

Thanks @tgauchat! Finally, we know whoā€™s responsible for this mess. All this time I was under false impression that poor engineering practices and inept management were to blame. Now, I can put the blame squarely in the Customers corner. I guess SmartThings would be a great platform if not for those pesky customers. :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry @JDRoberts. We actually changed this logic a few weeks ago so your ticket should keep its place in line after you update it. Feel free and add further info however is easiest for you. If you have a ticket open currently, let me know the ticket # and weā€™ll give it a look right away. Thanks.

6 Likes

My wife always said my arms looked a bit longer than ā€œnormal.ā€

1 Like

Thanks guys, weā€™ll work with Engineering

3 Likes

Thanks, Ryan. Glad to hear the queueing has been changed.

I have 6 open tickets right now, but theyā€™re all for ā€œknown issues,ā€ just open so Iā€™ll be updated when a fix is available. :sunglasses:

1 Like

(Old-man-yells-at-cloud pic)

{/thread}

3 Likes

We have observes state variables corruption going as far back as last October. In some instances the state variable eventually recovered itself, thatā€™s why we attributed this to inter-server data propagation. This behavior reoccurred several times since last fall and it usually hit many users simultaneously.

I, personally now go by philosophy that Smart Smart App is a Dumb Smart App.

1 Like

FWIW, here is my example of a rule losing its application state. First is the broken rule, second is after I removed and re-created the rule.

Holly smoke can someone NOT love SmartThings when we yell on top of our lungs how wrong they are and throw eggs at all the work theyā€™ve done, while the founders are tacitly reading these posts?

I know @ben would like to speak his mind, he has done it before, but he holds it in. The list of ā€œlikesā€ on @tyler 's picture is telling.

It reminds me of the hysteria around the v2 launch. Either they cannot say whatā€™s going on, just yet, OR they are working on it!

This is why I think SmartThings is worth sticking with! One thing seems certain, the developer conference is not coming soon enoughā€¦

2 Likes

You got it, many projects put on hold to get this figured out.

4 Likes

Except for that critical green to blue dot changeā€¦

Sorry Timā€¦ I just couldnā€™t help the man lolā€¦ Just pokin fun, please donā€™t ban meā€¦

And btwā€¦ My dots are still greenā€¦ Am I not special too?

3 Likes

And except for adding samsung appliance integrationā€¦

What he said :smirk: